45: All That Remains

What Remains
•••
Shawn's POV
•••
"How did you find me?" She shouts as her boot holds me to the ground.
"I told you! I was only looking for food. For my troupe! We'll die without it!"
She loosens her hold on me.
"Yea.. well so will my troupe. Maybe, we need it even more."
My body squirms against the dirt, "Get off of me!"
She lifts her leg from my dusty, white tee.
"Talk. Who are you?" She speaks while aiming her gun at me.
I surrender, tossing my knife on the dirt. My palms raise up, facing her.
Her hair is pulled back into a tight braid, ripped up jeans, a green long sleeved shirt, and a scratch on her left cheek.
"Look.. I don't want any harm. My name is Shawn. All I want is to help my people. I came out here looking for food a-and a medkit for my injured friend, Levi. Please, just.. put the gun down."
She lowers her hands to the ground along with her held weapon.
"Ok, well.. look elsewhere. My group was here first." She says.
"Please! Please just help me out. Just try looking through my perspective on this." I beg.
"I wish I could, Shawn. I really wish I could, but-"
"But what?"
"But how do I know you're not what you say you are? You could be a raider. You could be bitten for Christ's sake!"
"But.. but I'm not!"
She shakes her head and lowers it.
"I'm sorry-"
She begins walking away.
"Please, this is my only hope for making it out alive."
She stops in her tracks.. then slowly turns back around.
"Fine. Just- just hurry!"
•••
"Keep an eye out while I look through the shack." She demands.
I nod and pull the knife from my pocket.
Her knee pushes through the already cracked glass. "Fuck!
"You okay?"
She ignores me.
"Give me your hand and I'll pull you up!"
I do as she tells me. Lifting my arm up to her, stepping on the broken wood planks, and hoisting myself up to her.
She looks down. "I think we'll be good. Seems clear."
I watch her jump in the dirty room.
"Find anything?" I ask from above.
"Some tools. Could be useful."
"Here! Take this!" I throw her an empty toat. "What I use to carry things in."
"Thanks." She says, reaching up to grab it. "You and your group like tomato soup and potatoes?"
I let out a disgusted mumble, she chuckles.
"All I could find. All that you get."
"Well I can't really complain. Ya get what you get in the middle of a zombie apocalypse." I laugh.
She looks up at me and smiles.
"Hey, I never got your name."
Her hand shields the side of her face. "Y/n." She hides her blushing cheeks, "but all of my friends call me Audacia."
"Why Audacia?"
She picks up something from the table in front of her and shoves it in the bag.
"The word audacious means brave and bold, you know? They just- just started calling me- I don't know." She laughs in embarrassment.
"I happen to like both very much."
She looks up and smiles once more.. then back to her resting lips.
"Boost me up."
I reach down and pull her to me and we jump back to the ground.
"Here. Six cans of soup, four potatoes, one screwdriver, and two hammers. I get fifty percent. I keep the screwdriver."
I nod. "That's fair."
"Sorry, I couldn't find a medkit."
"Oh, it's fine." I smile.
She reaches her hands in the woven toat and pulls out her supplies, holding them in her arms.
"Audacia? May I call you that?"
She sucks her lip into her mouth. "Okay."
"Audacia, I guess this is where we go our separate ways."
She nods in agreement.
"You know, you're the most badass girl I've met this whole journey. Maybe even in my whole life."
She cracks a smile. "And you're the weakest."
I take offense to her words, but I don't let it show.
"Hey, maybe we'll meet again some time soon." She says.
"Yea, hopefully." I smile.
She stares at me with her resting face and then quickly leans in, pecking a kiss upon my cheek. "Just a little something to take with you on the road."
She walks away once more. This time, she looks straight forward. Turning back for no one.
Audacia, the only person.. the only thing to keep me sane, even for fifteen minutes, through this shit storm. Only one I want more than to survive now.
•••
I'm in love with The Walking Dead, guys! 🧟‍♀️❤🧟‍♂️!!