9. What You Don't Know

I sat on the chair between my parents as they argued weather or not they should allow me to go back to school. I forgot how hard it was just to convince them to let me attend there, and look what I did.

"There's always homeschool college. Online classes?" My dad suggests. I roll my eyes and bury my head between my knees that are crunched up against my chest on the couch. There's so much I want to say; defending myself, defending my choices, defending my future being in the hands of my parents. Though, I keep my mouth shut. Anything I say will probably just make matters worse.

"Honey. You can't keep her locked away like Rapunzel" My mom comments.

"If locked away in a tower is the way to keep that punk away from her, then locked away in a tower it is" My dad states firmly. I look up from my downward glance. He's joking, right?

"Sure. Punish me for doing the responsible thing. I met a boy and I brought him home to meet you guys before things got too intimate. I should've just ran off and slept with the kid, had a secret relationship behind your backs, only to end up running away with him to the edge of never just to keep the horrid truth from you two. Horrid truth being that I'm a 18-year-old girl who's found interest in a boy, whom I already suspected you two would deny before you even got to know him. Like we've never heard that one before, seriously? It's the start of every hopeless romance novel I've read. The only difference is, I invited him here as a good friend. We aren't even together! So really, where is the wrong?" I tried to turn the situation's pointing fingers. A little too much? Eh, so I threw in a couple little white lies.

Remember dare night? The photo booth? Of course you do. Now, remember what Bizzle told me when I refused to participate in nudity? "You gotta learn to play the rules, not play by the rules-After all, how much of the truth does everyone really know?" Well, here I was. Playing the rules. Playing by Bizzle's rules. Let's see how I did.

"Points for tide turning. Little more emotion next time" My brother critiques my short speech in a whisper so that only I hear. I shrug my shoulders proudly. If I had anyone to thank for my increasing ability to sway my parents in the direction I wanted them to go, it was Alan. Although, my responsibility level some times topped my own parents, maybe it was just the trust that they had implanted in me.

My mom glances up to my father, he shakes his head, looking defeated. "I don't want you to pour your heart and soul into this boy. Sure, he seems cool now, but what about in a few years? When he's just a hopeless cause? Don't pin yourself to him. Don't lock your life up to a teenage romance." My dad lectures. I feel offended. As if my father has just insulted me.

"First of all, again, we're not in a relationship. Second off, why the wise folk-tale? Afraid I'll end up like you and mom's teenage relationship? An old couple pretending they still love each other for old times sake?" I spit back with a wrenching attitude. I have no idea where that came from, but once I'm finished, I wanna suck all the words right back down my throat.

The silence in the room is impeccable. They're shocked at my response. Not only because it's cocky, it's threatening. it's obnoxious and slick, but because it's Bizzle. He's rubbed himself all over me, and no I don't mean in just the physical manner.

My dad catches on right away, "Stay away from him. I won't warn you again." He stands up after his statement. His attitude had completely changed. He glared at me as if he really did want to lock me away for good. Mother's eyes fall. Processing all that I just said. I whisper an apology, but she shakes her head, stands up, and walks away.

"Nice" Alan leans back on the couch. I scuff at him. I inhale deeply. Then head up to my room, thanking god on my way up that I can return to campus tomorrow. I forgot just how much I hated living beneath their roof, their rules.