10. Don't Call This Place Home

My old routine had fallen back onto it's tracks. By 5 am, I was on duty at E Brew, by 9am I was in class. I had to cut my work hours a little short because of my early class this semester.

It was a warm night out that evening. I was mixing ingredients for a bunt-cake! My favorite! Joey knocked at the door, "Hey do you have any aspirin? My head is pounding and the nights barely even begun" He complains stepping into the kitchen behind me.

I laugh and then nod my head. I stand on my tip-toes reaching for the cabinet where I keep the medical stuff. I and Joey the bottle and he opens it, popping two into his mouth.

"You're not going to Bizzle's party?" He asks after chugging some water to follow the pills.

I return to mixing my cake batter, "Nah, parties have never really been my thing" I shrugged, "Is that where you're headed now?"

Joey nods, "Yep. I think you should go, besides I overheard that you've kinda got a lame, ass thing, for the host tonight" He teases.

I furrow my brows in at him as I put the wooden spoon down on a napkin beside me, "Are you encouraging me to go hang out with Bizzle at some wild party? You are the same guy who punched him in the face in my living room a couple weeks ago, aren't you?"

Joey chuckles, "Yeah I know, but I'm learning to deal with this, for you" He buffs up, "Besides, screw him, his parties are like-" Joey pauses searching for the right word.

"Legendary?" I offer with a chuckle.

"That works." He accepts, "Come on, Mila! It'll be fun! More fun than baking cakes all night," He sticks his finger into the uncooked batter and proceeds to lick it off.

I scowl at him and grab my cake, shoving it in the oven. Once it's safely baking in the locked oven, I lean over the counter at Joey, who's sitting on a stool now.

"So, Vicky told me a little about how you and Bizzle met. I didn't know he lived in Vienna, near us?" I stirred up a convo that I've been waiting to have cleared up. There's no way he actually lived in Vienna, it's a small city, I would've seen him around somewhere. And with that said, I'd never forget a face like his.

Joey shrugs, "Yeah, but I only knew him for a year. My freshman year, before I met you. He moved by the time the next year started" Joey explained scooping, with his finger, frosting from open tub I prepared for my cake. "We met back up when I came to Memphis, he insisted on sharing a room, as an order of repayment"

Insanely curious now, I asked, "Repayment?"

He pauses, like he'd rather not tell me, but he continues shortly after. "Well, I don't know how much, of what actually happened, Vicky told you. But, him and his dad had a . . . strained relationship. Anyway, one day I was over for this science project because we were partners. His dad took it a little too far that day, he knocked him around a few times. I didn't really think much of it, I just wanted it to stop. So I kinda jumped between them. His dad nailed me once, but it was an in the moment kinda thing. That situation seemed to wake him up though. He apologized to both of us right after. I think his dad was just a little edgy. Much like Bizzle himself" Joey looks up to see my reaction.

"And then . . ." I ask waiting for the rest of the story that I know is only coming if I constantly ask for the next part.

"Then, we became really good friends. Like really good. But he had to move out of state by the time our sophomore year came around, so we lost touch." Joey dries his, saliva and frosting filled, finger with a napkin. "He did some things that really ticked me off once we met back up here. He was never an angel back when I knew him, but he wasn't a delinquent either." Joey finishes.