3. Outta Town Girl

The week briskly wrapped around to that upcoming Thursday. My placement exams would be starting up this coming Friday followed by classes that Monday. My work schedule was planned to remain remotely the same, except once classes do start I decided to give myself weekend days off as oppose to only Sunday.

Half my shift had ticked away now. I was really hoping things would be a little more active once courses begun, assuming that students would be up much earlier in the morning. For now, I was making a decent amount of money, enough to survive here. Sitting on the stool on the workers side of the coffee bar, I tapped away at my laptop. Attempting to find specific places that I needed to go today on my day outta town, that would make this trip a lot shorter than it needed to be.

Joey strolled in about a half hour later. I set my computer to print the list of shops I needed to visit today. He stretched one leg over the tall stool and propped himself comfortably on the seat, "Muffin please" He said in an over exaggerated proper manner. I turned my eyes over, fetching his freshly made muffin from the fancy platter on the opposite side of the counter.

"No crazy drink today?" I questioned handing him his requested muffin. He shook his head with a chuckle.

Joey proceeded to ask me about the list I had just printed out. I explained that it'd be much easier and faster if I knew exactly what I needed and from where. I've always been very organized when it comes to anything really, so this didn't take Joey by much of a shock. Though, he seemed more relieved that I was endeavoring to make this trip quick.

Joey spent the rest of my shift with me, chatting and keeping me company with the slow business this morning. Nearing the end of my shift now, the inevitable conversation finally surfaced, "So, if you could just be really careful today and not stop anywhere with him unplanned and just get there and back the same way you are now, yeah that'd be great" I shook my head at Joeys consistency.

Wiping down the counter one last time I nodded my head, "Joey, I understand. You're trusting him enough to allow me to go, so obviously he's not all bad" I pointed out.

He bounced his head, "It's not him I don't trust, it's the people he surrounds himself with, the life he's lives, his attitude, his crazed hormones-" Joey paused, "Yep it's him I don't trust" He decided raising his brows. I laughed, assuring him once again that I'd be careful. Joeys nerves calmed just a bit. I understood where he was coming from, in a way I was mentally warning myself about this. But as I declared before, I don't have much of a choice, this drive couldn't hurt.

When Linda stepped into the cafe I left my apron to rest for her to yield over. I grabbed my phone and my list of destinations from the printer. Joey slid a small paper over the counter. I blazed at him, confused as I picked the thin paper up and flipped it over. "For the muffin" Joey answered to the neatly written check.

My eyes crossed over the amount given, my lower jaw descending before my eyes traveled back up to him. "Joey, this is a check for 1000 dollars" I gaped.

Joey nodded knowingly, "You're not making much here and I know you kinda need the money right now. Besides your family's helped me out a lot, it's just a returned favor." He shrugged. Yes my family was loaded, but responsibility was a huge point in my parents principles. That's why they agreed to pay for my classes for my first year only, I was on my own for the rest.

I shook my head, extending my arm outward, "I-I can't take this" Joey insisted, pushing it back to me.

"You're not taking it. Just think of it as a loan, you pay me back on your own clock" He informed. I let out a subtle breath through my nose. Glancing back down at the check. I guess I did kinda need the money right now and if I was paying Joey back this wasn't wrong. I just needed a little boost to get myself started, and I think Joey just gave it to me. I lapped around the counter, brushing flour off my light colored jeans that the apron didn't cover. Throwing my arms around Joeys neck and twining him into a hug.