25. Alone

"What do you mean you think you're pregnant?!" Vicky asked pacing back and fourth in my small motel bedroom. "Pregnancy tests don't say maybe, it's yes or no."

I sat on the bed with my legs folded in a pretzeled shape, "I haven't taken one." I shrugged.

Vicky stopped her pacing and stood still. "Okay," she began, "Did you guys ever not use protection?"

I shook my head, "I've been on the pill the entire time we were together. I have a notification in my phone set, I've never missed a pill." I explain feeling the tips of my fingers get colder and colder from nervousness.

"Then what the hell makes you think you're pregnant?" Vicky asks with a confused expression.

I shrug again, "A couple weeks ago I started getting this morning sickness, but I was sure it was just from something I ate the night before. And, over break the cheese I ate was funky so I wasn't surprised after throwing that up. Then, on the way here from Vienna I vomited but I always get car sick during long drives, so I don't know." I fidgeted with my fingers.

"Okay, you jumped to conclusions way to quickly." Vicky replied after listening to me. She turned around and dug through her bag before pulling out a little cardboard box. A pregnancy test I had asked her to pick up on her way here. "If your pills are on track and you've known why you felt each nauseating sickness...then you're probably over thinking this." She says tapping the box against her palm.

I closed my eyes gently and took a breath. "Yeah, yeah, you're probably right." I breathed with a faint, forced, chuckle.

"See, just a little scare, but it's all good. You stuck to the pill while you were active and that's all there is to it." Vicky encouraged.

I began tapping my knee, "Yeah, and the only time I was off the pill was when we were fighting and we didn't have sex during that time." I reassured myself.

Vicky nods, looking just as nervous as me, "As long as you're sure nothing happened in that time..."

I shook my head, "No, no, that was during the whole Cassandra's baby thing. We were barely talking, let alone having sex." I exhaled from my nose.

Vicky nodded vigorously, "And then you were back on the pill before you guys reconnected!"

I nodded hopping off the bed and starting to feel much better. "Yeah, I renewed the pack at the doctors and-" I froze.

Vicky watched me for a moment, "And..."

"I brought him home from the hospital." I whispered, my stomach caved in.

"What?" Vicky asked not able to hear me whisper to myself.

"Oh fuck." I forced myself to breathe.

"No." Vicky shook her head and stepped forward in front of me, "Don't oh fuck right now. . .Mila?"

I didn't answer. I was looking over my thoughts, three times, four times, five times. Making sure I was thinking straight at that moment. Unfortunately, I was.

"Mila?!" Vicky yelled.

My jaw jittered before I got words to come out, "It was after his accident at the fight. He was on bed rest and he asked me to stay the night. . . And we hung out in the kitchen and-" I stopped.

"Oh god." Vicky sighed.

"It happened so fast I- I wasn't even thinking." My foot began tapping harshly against the thin carpeted floor. My breath immediately felt shaky and unstable.