21. Nightmares & Daydreams

The book bag on my shoulder was growing heavier and heavier as I got closer to the student parking lot. The skies were blue with not a cloud in sight, but the air still had a slightly bitter feel to it.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and startled me as I was focused on the clear sky. I pushed my books into one hand and shoved my other hand in my back pocket to snatch my phone.

Incoming Call:
From: The Boy Who Makes You Wet

I laughed at the screen and noted myself to change his contact name before someone got sight of it.

"Where are you?" Justin quickly jumped before I could even say hello.

"Leaving campus now. Everything alright?" I asked continuing my paces toward the parking structure.

"Yeah, uh, do you have time to stop by the store with me? I need a couple things and I'm on doctors orders not to be driving." He asks.

"Sure, but I have to stop by the motel, so I'll pick you up in fifteen?" I asked almost dropping my heavy book bag off my shoulder. I slid it back up my arm with difficulty.

Things between Justin and I have been complicated, to say the least. Not that that was very surprising though, were things ever simple when it came to us? Justin and I were acting a lot more like flirty friends than we were lovers. With all the drama that's been piling up on our lives, we didn't want to add more. I was more concerned with Justin's well being, after discovering his methods of harming himself, rather than sleeping in the same bed each night. I'd still been sleeping at my old motel room, but Joey joined me most nights since I was in a neighborhood not favored by many.

As for Justin and Joey, they had been spending a lot more time together since Joey's diagnoses. He hasn't started the Chemo therapy yet, but his first appointment is scheduled for mid April, in just a couple weeks. Joey had contacted his family and we all agreed to meet back in Vienna for his first appointment. The doctors hadn't determined if it was terminal yet, we were all praying for the best.

"Well if there's one thing Bieber knows, it's how to pick em'." A voice sounds off from behind me. It sounds familiar, but I can't match it with a name until I turn around. Evan.

You remember Evan right? The dare-night stripping, flirty, jealousy inducing, diary reading, jerk head that I haven't been in contact with since a couple months ago.

"Can I help you?" I rudely state, letting my bag fall to the floor as it was all too heavy.

"Actually you can, little Mrs. Feisty." Evan shakes his short, blonde, tousled hair.

"It's really pathetic of you to think that after what you did to Drew, I would do anything in your favor." Honestly, I hated calling him Bizzle.

"Aw, cute, you're on a first-name basis now?" Evan smiles like a little girl-scout trying to sell cookies. I roll my eyes and attempt to walk away, but Evan calls me back and, god knows why, I turn back to his attention. "Look, I'm sorry about what happened. . . kinda-" he snorts. I turn on my heels and he quickly snugs me back, "But, I am coming to you with open arms." He says.

I roll my eyes once again and sigh obnoxiously. I wish he'd take a hint and leave me alone. "Yeah, well my arms aren't open in return so-"

"Oh come on. You don't even know what I want yet. Besides, I thought you're the innocently sweet girl around here?" Evan teases stepping in closer to me. I will admit, he's not a bad looking guy, but his nasty personality triumphs any chances he has with just about any girl.

"Don't confuse nice and pushover. They're not the same thing." I say clearly. I will not have people walk all over me like a doormat.

Evan nods, "You're one of the smartest students at this school. Now, you may think I'm a jerk, which is mostly true, but I do care about my school work. I know you're one of the only kids acing Calculus right now."