Ch.24: The Akatsuki

Chapter 24: The Akatsuki

Third POV

Kakashi blankly stared at the spot from where Naomi had disappeared from. “Damn it!” he cursed while giving a punch to a nearby tree. How could I have let her escape… how am I going to tell Naruto and the others?

He immediately transported out of the forest since it was beginning to rain. Landing outside the Hokage’s building; he slowly walked up the long stairs. Each step felt agonizing. He felt guilty that two of his powerful students left and couldn’t stop them.

Knocking on the door, he opened it to see all of the rookies standing there, including his team, with Asuma, Kurenai and of course Tsunade.

“Kakashi!” Tsunade immediately stood up and walked around her desk. “What happened?!” she demanded. Said man bit his lip and gently shook his head.

“SHIT!” Tsunade screamed and landed a punch on her desk, effectively breaking it. The rookies gasped and took a step back.

“Kakashi-sensei? What’ s going on? Where’s Naomi??” Naruto obliviously asked.

Kakashi stared at him with sympathetic eyes. “Naruto… gomen but Naomi has defected from the village.”

“WHAT??” Shikamaru yelled, his calm attitude breaking instantly.

Naruto chuckled humorlessly, “You’re just joking aren’t you, sensei? I mean… Naomi couldn’t have actually left like that…?” Seeing no response from Kakashi, anger filled Naruto’s veins. “HOW COULD YOU HAVE JUST LET HER GET AWAY?”

“Easy there Naruto,” Kiba and Shikamaru came from behind and held him back.

“Why didn’t you stop her!?” Naruto asked darkly.

“NARUTO! Pipe down,” Tsunade commanded “It wasn’t Kakashi’s fault at all. It was mine… I shouldn’t have kept the truth from her.”

“What truth, Lady Hokage?” Asuma asked as his eyes narrowed.

Tsunade sighed before sitting down and crossing her arms. “Naomi is the daughter of my goddaughter, so in a way she’s my grand goddaughter. Her mother had died the day Naomi was born. But… I had told Naomi that her mother had died from childbirth, not the real reason.”

“How exactly did she die?” Ino asked curiously.

Tsunade bit her lip before replying, “She was murdered.” The genin gasped in shock as they heard the news.

“What about her father??” Naruto asked.

“Naruto… Naomi’s father one of the most strongest shinobi Konoha could have had. Unfortunately, he was also murdered before Naomi was even born.” She replied.

“Mi-chan…” Naruto’s eyes softened. “Gomen…”

“That’s why she went rogue. Because technically this village has kept secrets about the most important thing in her life: her parents.”

“She went for revenge;” Kakashi interrupted “She left because she wants to get stronger to kill her parent’s killers.”

“Just like Sasuke…” Sakura muttered. Kakashi nodded in response.

“And just like Sasuke…” Naruto started “I’ll bring Naomi back! I’ll bring both of them back, I promise!” he grinned, his eyes twinkling again. The others smiled at him.

“Lady Tsunade… does Master Jiraiya know of these events?” Kurenai suddenly asked thinking of the Sanin.

“He does,” Tsunade sighed “He wasn’t surprised. Jiraiya said that he knew this day would eventually come. He said that Naomi is still just a child blinded by anger. He respects that anger, and he trusts her. I know how Naomi is, Jiraiya has such an influence in her life, that she won’t do something ridiculous.”