Ch. 13: Training and ANBU

Naomi’s POV

We had arrived in the village not too long ago. Exhaustion was taking over my body. “Well I don’t know about you guys, but I’m gonna hit the hay…” I groaned as I stretched my arms above my head.

“What’s hit the hay?” Naruto questioned. Everyone groaned hearing him ask ridiculous questions.

Sakura rolled her eyes. “Naruto, she basically means she’s gonna go home and sleep.”

“Ohhh….” Naruto sheepishly grinned. “I see, well Mi-chan, I’ll come with! I want to see Jun!”

My eyes widened. “OH MY GOD, JUN!” I remembered and ran from my team towards the direction of my home. I totally forgot about him! I hope he isn’t starving! Right..? Nah, I’m pretty sure he ate something for the last two weeks.

~~

Team 7 looked at the receding form of Naomi as she sprinted off leaving a dust trail. “Who’s Jun?” Kakashi asked as he put away is Icha Icha Paradise book.

“Jun’s Mi-chan’s dog. I bet she forgot to feed him or something….” Naruto said. “I’m going to go with her! See ya!” he waved off and ran.

Sasuke clenched his fists. How can that dobe know so much about her?! He even knew about a dog! He grunted in anger and walked off.

“Well, I guess I’ll go report in to the Hokage.” Kakashi muttered to himself and poofed away.

~~

Naomi’s POV

As soon as I reached my front door, I barged in. “JUN!” I called out. No later, a couple of barks were heard. Next thing I knew I was on the floor with a fluffy thing stuffed in my face, licking it.

I giggled. “I missed you too, buddy! Missed you shoooo much!” I spoke to him as if he were a baby. Well technically, he was still a toddler…
His beautiful eyes stared up at me and his tail wiggled back and forth. “Did you eat anything??”

He just barked and led me to the living room. I gasped at the sight. “Oh my… Looks like you were just fine on your own.. eating the couch, cushion and stuff.” I picked up a pillow and smacked it, only to let feathers in face. I spit them out and dropped the pillow back.

I sighed. “Well this place isn’t going to clean up itself! Let’s get to work. Jun!” I called out. He came running towards me. “The sooner we clean, the sooner the yummy food I’ll give you! Okay?” He barked in response.

“Shadow Clone Jutsu!” Three clones appeared through the smoke.

“Alright, one take the living room, the other: my room, I’ll do the kitchen, the last one does everything else. Dismissed!” I saluted my copies and they left off to do their assigned work.

As the evening time came, I had started preparing dinner. The door suddenly barged open and in came a grinning Naruto.

“HEY Naomi-chan!” he yelled as he shut the door and took his shoes off. He waddled inside and jumped on the sofa with his feet up on the edge. I rolled my eyes at his antics.

“Hey Naru-kun, just in time I see?”

He nodded with a laugh and started to play with Jun. “Well since I see that you’re available, you can help me set up the table.”

He groaned. “Aww but Mi-chan!!”

I tsked. “No buts, Naruto! Or I guess you won’t be able to eat this extra large pot of ramen I made…”

His eyes lit up and he dashed into the kitchen, almost tripping me, took out the bowls and placed them on the table. I brought over the huge pot of ramen and we immediately dug in.

“Itadakimasu!”

“Mhmm, Mi-chan’s ramen is the best!” I beamed proudly at the compliment.

“Hey want to help me train Jun tomorrow, Naruto?”

“Why are you training him?” he slurped his noodles. I swallowed the current bit of broth that was in my mouth and spoke.

“He’s a ninken. That means a ninja hound, therefore the faster I train him, the stronger he can get! Besides, look at him being lazy around the house.” Naruto looked over towards Jun, who was eating grilled fish, and nodded.

“Yeah! He’ll be the best partner, believe it!”

After we finished eating, I washed the dishes and swept up the kitchen spotless. Wiping my hands on my shirt, I walked out to see Naruto sleeping on the couch. I lightly smiled as I noticed his innocence.

I picked him up and swung him across my shoulders. “Ooof! What does this boy eat…? Oh yea. Ramen.” I muttered under my breath as Naruto’s heavy weight crashed down on me.

I carefully took him to the guest room and laid him down on the orange and yellow bed. You guessed right, it was technically his room, therefore he got all hyped up in decorating it.

The room was a decent size, with a queen size bed. The walls were colored a soft blue and the bed itself had bright orange and yellow bed sheets with dark royal blue pillow covers. There was a drawing of the leaf symbol right above the head board and a picture frame of Naruto and I on the side desk.

As I laid him down, I pulled the blankets over his body. He snuggled into them immediately and sighed. I gently removed the bangs out of his eyes and kissed his forehead goodnight. I left the room, closing the door.

**Time Skip to Morning**

Naruto and I have now been training Jun for a couple of hours. The sun was beaming down on us with its hot rays. I could feel the sweat forming on my forehead. I wiped it off with the back of my hand and collapsed on the ground due to the heat.

I glanced to the side seeing Naruto still playing with Jun. My wonderful ninken was a fast learner and had many of the tricks down.

His senses and abilities heightened. He was now able to combat a bit, mold chakra to his paws, and the most important fact I figured out was that he was an excellent tracker. Now all I have to do is teach him how to talk.

That’s definitely going to be difficult. The Inuzuka Clan has natural abilities with their partnered animals, and Kakashi’s summonings were also natural in talking. I had taken some advice from Kakashi on how to train Jun, but alas not much helped.

“Woof woof!!” Jun barked, running around Naruto. I stood up and walked over to them.

“Hey Naruto, I think it’s time for us to teach Jun how to talk. Don’t you think?”

“That would be so cool, believe it!” He exclaimed. Before I could say anything else, a poof brought my attention.

The smoke cleared to reveal a chunin, whom I had never met. “Suzuki-san, Lord Hokage has requested your presence.” He spoke with a defiant tone.

I raised an eyebrow. What could hii ojii-san want with me? “Very well, I will be there shortly.”

He nodded and disappeared. “Woah Mi-chan! You’re attitude was so different!” Naruto said.

I grinned. “That’s right Naruto. When it’s something serious, I will also become serious. I know the difference when attention has to be given to something important and others not. Anyways, you heard the man, why don’t you take Jun out to the lake for a swim. I’m sure he would love it in this weather, while I go see what old man Hokage wants. Neh?”

Naruto laughed and ran off. “Come on boy!” he said to Jun, as the little pup followed with a bark.

I formed a couple of hand signs and transported right outside the door of the Hokage. I knocked on it, until I heard his gruff voice. “Come in.”

I stepped inside to see him sitting with his usual cigar pipe half in his mouth. I grinned. “Hey hii ojii-san, long time no see.”

He looked up and chuckled at me. “Good morning Naomi. Come sit. I have many things to discuss with you.” I nodded and walked to the chair in front of his desk, and sat down.

“Soo….” I trailed off. He stacked all of his papers together and put them away. He crossed his arms on his desk.

“Naomi, as you know that the Chunin Exams are coming up in a month.” He started. I nodded letting him know to continue.

“I will be asking your jounin teachers whether they shall recommend you for the exam or not. Knowing Kakashi, he definitely well. There’s no doubt. But…”

I felt the inside of me become nervous. There’s always that ‘but’ that ruins every moment. 

“You won’t be a part of the exams.” He straight on told me. My eyes widened at the news. The room became silent as if a pin could be heard when dropped. My shriek broke it.

“WHAT??!!” I yelled. “Why not?! This is so not fair!” I began ranting.

“But you can’t do this…”

“Naomi..” I heard him call.

“Does Kakashi not think I’m worthy??” I questioned myself as I paced back and forth across the room.

“*Sigh* Naomi!” I heard hii ojiisan call again.

“Not worthy huh? I”ll show him worthy. That basta--!”

“NAOMI!” the Hokage’s loud yell finally broke my rant. I snapped my head towards his direction. His face was serene again. “Relax, my dear. Let me finish.”

I exhaled silently and put off my temper and gingerly sat down. I motioned for him to speak again.

“You will not be taking the Chunin exams, BUT I would like to recommend you for the ANBU exam.”

My jaw dropped as I let this information sink in. “Really??” I grinned. He chuckled and nodded.

“Yes. I do think that because of your honed skills, immense chakra, and background, you will be an excellent ANBU. But this all depends on how you pass the exam.” He added with a serious tone.

I nodded with furrowed eyebrows. “When is the exam?”

“Two days from now. Do you think you are ready?”

I contemplated the answer. Let’s see, from the training I had with Tsunade baa-chan, jii-san, and the others, including the Uchiha scrolls I’ve read, and let’s not forget my Mangekyō, I think it would be alright.

“I’ll do it. Where shall I go?”

“Meet me here at 8 am sharp two days from now, and we’ll both go to the location. Till then get some rest, and replenish your chakra to the fullest.” He advised.

I nodded and left the room immediately. I decided to get some last minute training done. I arrived at the training ground that was near the KIA stone.

I wanted to practice some one hand jutsus that Haku had taught me two years ago. He was an expert at it, and while I was still new to the trick. But practice makes perfect!

After that, I aimed my weapons at the targets, throwing shuriken and kunai one by one. I punched the bark of the tree as if it were some sort of boxing bag. I kicked the side of the tree with my right leg, then my left.

I practiced all of my jutsus that were drilled in my mind, and went over the poisons and senbons that were packed in my pouch.
I might need some advice. There’s only one ANBU out there that I know properly.

I arrived at the door and knocked on it. After a minute, it opened to reveal a lazy Kakashi reading his Icha Icha book.
I raised an eyebrow since he hadn’t noticed me yet. He finally looked up from his book and greeted me.

“Oh! Hello there Naomi. What brings you here?” he asked as his eyes went back to reading the book. He probably expects me to be here for no reason. I thought.

I rolled my eyes. “I have some things I want to discuss with you. Can we go somewhere?”

“*Sigh* why don’t we go sit on top of the Hokage mountain.” He closed the door behind him and we immediately transported.
After sitting down, he finally asked. “So what is that you need to ask me?”

“When you were applying to become an ANBU, how were the exams?” I curiously asked. He stared at me in utter shock. Oops, I guess the Hokage didn’t tell him yet.

“Naomi, is the Hokage recommending you to become an ANBU?”

“Yup~” I said popping the ‘p’ part. He sighed with his head down, but contemplated a bit.

“Well, you will first have a written exam which should consist of a variety of questions dealing with jutsu, projectile motion, forces of nature, kekkei genkai, the human body, etc…” he started “Then you will have the second part of the exam which I think, if I remember correctly, should be combating against other ANBU members and captains. From that, they will determine whether you will become one or not.”
“Hmm, that’s not bad—.”

“There is no reason that you should underestimate these exams, Naomi. I will tell you now, it will be difficult. Prepare as much as you can.” He cut me off.

I sighed in annoyance. Why does everything require so much work?! I left as soon as I got some advice. It would be a big day in two days.

Third POV

As Naomi left, Kakashi immediately transported outside of the Hokage’s office. KNOCK KNOCK. “Come in.” came a gruff voice.

The silver haired ninja stepped inside. “Lord Hokage.” He bowed with respect. The old man looked up from his work and smiled.
“Kakashi, come take a seat. Is there something you wanted?” Kakashi sighed silently.

“It’s about Naomi and her ANBU exams. Don’t you think she’s a bit too young to go into ANBU right now?”

The Hokage smoked on his tobacco pipe and exhaled the smoke out. “Kakashi, you as well as I know that she is completely able to do well. Age does not matter when it comes to strength.”

“Yes but---“

“*Sigh* After knowing who Naomi is and what her strengths are, you shouldn’t be underestimating her Kakashi. After all she is an Uchiha with a fully developed Sharingan. Also, let’s not forget that she’s also going to become part of ANBU around the time Itachi Uchiha became one. A true prodigy, as she is one too. He was 13 and Naomi, is currently 12. I believe it’s all right, and I also believe that she will succeed. Have a little faith.” The old man mused with a slight grin.

Kakashi reluctantly agreed and rubbed his temples. How am I going to relay this to the others if she passes?

**Time Skip 2 days**

I arrived at the Hokage’s office, right after I woke up and took a shower. I then walked with him on the streets to our destination.
As we walked the streets I noticed we were heading towards the other side of the village towards the Hokage Mountains. The area was a bit desolate with a forest surrounding it. I noticed a dark door appearing as a small building came up. Heh, it was so far dense into the forest, that no one would find it unless taken to.

Hii-ojiisan led me inside as we descended the stairs as soon we opened the door. It seemed like an underground building mostly. The stairs creaked as our feet took each step. The darkness surrounded us, until a sudden bright light caused me to shield my eyes.

My eyes widened as I noticed a huge arena. It wasn’t that huge where the Chunin exams took place, but I had to admit, it was pretty big. There were a couple of ANBUs sitting around in the bleachers with their masks quietly muttering with each other.

“Come Naomi, first we will have you take the written exam.” Hii-ojiisan said. He took me to a man who was around the same age as Kakashi, around 26-27, with dark maroon hair that had a swift to the side with hazel eyes. He had clear skin and a defiant jaw line. He was the epitome of H-A-W-T!

Picture shown on the top! 

He grinned as he noticed us coming towards him. “Pleasure as always, Lord Hokage.”  The old man nodded back and smiled a bit.
“Nice to see you again, Kenji. Everything is prepared, I presume?”

Kenji nodded and finally took a notice of me, smirking. “Heard a lot of things about you Naomi-san. All good. Let’s see if you can live up to the expectations.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. I hated people underestimating me. I raised an eyebrow towards hii-ojiisan.

“Oh, that’s right. Naomi I would like you to meet the head of ANBU. Kenji Tanaka.” My eyes slightly widened. He’s the head of ANBU?? Young and good looking. I mentally shook the thoughts off and just nodded in acknowledgement.

He finally took me to a room that wasn’t that small or too big. It seemed like a classroom where missions were relayed in. There were a couple of other people who were taking the exam with me. Apparently I was the only girl. I shrugged them off and a seat behind the desk where white test paper laid.

Kenji stood in the front. “You have exactly 45 minutes to finish this exam. You may begin..” he looked at his watch “now.” I immediately turned over the test packet and read the questions. The first part of the written exam was involving Physics.

1. If two bodies of different masses, initially at rest, are acted upon by the same force for the same time, then the both bodies acquire the same _____.

Momentum! I remembered reviewing some of the booklets that Kakashi gave me to look over.

2. It is more difficult to walk when in Suna than on Konoha roads because _______.

I wrote in the answer: the friction between sand and feet is less than that between concrete and feet in Konoha.

I kept answering similar questions, until the second part of the written exam came. The Human Body. The questions asked me about the different chakra points that caused a temporary death state, where to successfully block the flow of chakra, diseases and their symptoms, poisons and their affects on the body, etc…

The test was pretty well planned out, and the final question came.

1.Objective: retrieve the secret scroll. Worse case scenario. It’s an S-rank mission and your teammates are captured and could be killed, but if you save your teammates you can’t retrieve the scroll. The scroll contains secret jutsus of Konoha. What do you do?
A) Save your teammates and abandon the mission.
B) Abandon your teammates and retrieve the scroll.

I frowned as I finished reading the question. They only have two options?! I shook my head and on the bottom of choice b, I added my own choice c: Save your teammates and then do whatever you can in your power to retrieve the scroll together. I underlined the ‘together’ part.
I nodded my head in satisfaction and finished the exam 10 minutes earlier than the 45 minute mark. I stood up and handed the test in and stepped outside.

I saw Lord Hokage sitting with…. Kakashi? I jogged to where they were and tilted my head.

“Since when did you come here, Kakashi?”

“Well, I arrived about 10 minutes ago while you were taking the exam.” He rubbed the back of his neck. I heard a slight cough behind me and turned around.

Kenji stood there with my graded exam in his hand. Both the Hokage and Kakashi stood up, waiting for my results.

“It seems she has done an excellent job on answering the questions. Every single one of them correct, except the last one.”

“What was the question?” the Hokage asked. Kenji explained the final question to us.

“The answers were either A or B, but you wrote in an extra choice yourself.” Kenji replied.

“I will not change my answer. I would rather die than abandon my teammates. I would save them first, and then work together to retrieve the scroll. ‘Those who break the rules are scum, but those who abandon their friends are worse than scum.’” I said as I crossed my arms across my chest.

Kakashi’s eyes widened at my statement then softened. He chuckled and ruffled my hair, proudly. The Hokage noticed our exchange and chuckled.

“Kenji, I believe that Naomi’s has gotten a perfect on the exam. She has overcome our expectations and thought of a new answer in her own terms. Just the type of ninja we need. Let’s proceed onto the second part of the exam.”

“Very well then. Naomi-san, please follow me to the arena.” I fell in step with him and we finally appeared to our destination.
I walked to the middle of the dirt arena and stood there to hear for my next orders. “Alright!” Kenji’s voice boomed across, the muttering becoming quiet.

“We shall now begin the ANBU exam.”  The 5 other people that were in the written exam room also came out to the arena and we all stood together.

“This is a battle till the end. No restrictions. You can use any weapon, any jutsu, and any form of power. Let’s see if any of ya’ll maggots can make it.” Kenji said with a slight sinister smile.

I observed the others around me. Hmm, this will be an interesting fight. “AANNDDD BEGIN!” As soon as the words left his mouth, I dug my hands into my weapons pouch, took out a couple of senbons and aimed them at the necks of 3 of the candidates. They quickly fell to the ground with a thud.

As they fell, I began running towards the others. Rapid hand signs formed from my fingers.

“Fire Style: Great Fireball Jutsu!” I muttered and blew out massive amount of chakra. The scorching ball rolled towards two others and burned them unconsciousness.

One of the other ninjas blew a water ball and cancelled my jutsu out. Under my genjutsu, I activated my Sharingan. I didn’t want to waste my time anymore on these people. I closed my eyes and concentrated. I debated on whether I should use it or not… Eh what the hell. If I won’t practice with it now, I will never be able to.

My eyes snapped open and my tradition 3 tomoe transformed into my Mangekyo Sharingan.

Third POV

“Lord Hokage, is she using what I think she is? I’m only able to see it because of my Sharingan. She’s using her Mangekyo” Kakashi whispered so only they could hear it.

The old man ‘hmmed’ with a deep expression. “Kakashi, I would watch Naomi carefully. This will be one of the most rare times where you will witness this jutsu.”

“Tsukuyomi.” Naomi muttered under her breath. As soon as her opponents stared into her genjutsu eyes, screams erupted from within their lungs. The men grabbed their heads and fell onto their knees.

“N-no! P-please!!” they begged in agony. As they were trapped, it felt like many years had passed by, but mere seconds in the real world.

They’re eyes moved back in forth as they were haunted by the illusion. Within, their limbs were torn off one by one as blood squirted out of their arteries. Naomi, inside the genjutsu, took her katana and stabbed the men multiple times as they were hung on a cross. And with a painful snap, she twisted their heads.

The screams suddenly died off, and the arena became eerily quiet. Whispers went around like a gossip machine.

“Did you see that? What kind of genjutsu was that?”

“I would not want to witness that.”

“A mere child… huh.” More mutters went around.

The illusion disappeared. Naomi’s opponents lay on their backs, with their eyes glazed over, breathing terribly hard, and finally going into unconsciousness.

“Naomi Suzuki is the winner!” Kenji’s voice suddenly announced, startling Naomi. A frown came on her face as she noticed the state that her rivals were in because of her. She deactivated her Sharingan underneath her genjutsu, and quickly went around to heal everyone.

She panted as exhaustion took over. Tsukuyomi took a lot of chakra out of the user, and Naomi was fatigued.

Medic nins came immediately and took the fallen to the hospital ward. Kakashi came down and ruffled Naomi’s hair.

“Good job, Naomi. You did excellent.” Naomi shook her head with regret.

“No, no matter what battle it is.. that was unacceptable. No one should go through that pain.”

Kakashi sighed and squat down in front of her. “Naomi,” he started with softened eyes “This is the ninja world. You must overcome these stages. You already know how a shinobi’s life really is. You have dealt with it yourself.”

“I’m not surprised at my power or how I hurt them, but it’s just unfortunate that they had to go through that.” She said. “Anyways, let’s forget about that and move on. I didn’t put them on a genjutsu to my full power. That was probably just one fourth of it…” Naomi walked towards Kenji, leaving Kakashi behind looking at her with his mouth agape.

One fourth of power?! How strong is she? She might even be stronger than me and possibly Lord Hokage!

Naomi’s POV

“Congratulations. Come with me and we shall get you your ANBU vest, mask and tattoo.” Kenji spoke and motioned me to go with him.