Chapter 36 - Ashley

Chapter 36:

Here I was. Parked outside my old house, well the house I used to live in. Which was Caden's house since I found out mum lives with Sam now, since she was all alone in a big house by herself...all because of me. Apparently she sold our other house and moved next door to Sam.

I look sadly at the familiar bricked building, the grass as green as ever and the property tidy and neat. I can't believe I'm doing this, I can't believe I'm doing this, I ca-

"So when are we actually going in?" Caden asks, grinning at me. I turn my gaze onto him and remember I was in my own world, not even remembering he was in the car with me.

"I don't think I can do thi-"

Before I can continue, Caden shakes his head vigorously and interrupts me. "You're doing this, no matter what. You have no idea how happy both of our mums will be once they see you and not to forget Alex and Ros."

I look down and fiddle with my shirt. "What if they hate me now?" I voice the constant question that was running through my head and sharply suck in a breath. Why the fuck did I ask that? Its not that I that I'm scared of the question, I was way more scared of the answer.

"They don't." He states.

"How would you know that?" I ask, my voice betraying me by cracking.

"Because they love you. No matter what, Ash. They love you. Now get out of the car before I get too sappy..." Caden opens his door and gets out before coming round to my side and opening my door for me.

"I like you sappy." I say as I step out the car and brush myself down.

"Yeah well its not something a manly man like me can be." He jokes.

I laugh and bump my shoulder into him. "I forbid you to be a manly man. I like you the way you are."

"And that's all I need." Caden smiles happily down at me and I can't help but smile back but then I remember Chris and stop smiling.

"Lets get this over and done with." I say, walking ahead. I did it again, when our relationship comes too close to home. But I can't be with Caden, I can't hope to be with Caden because Chris is there. He's like a barrier blocking the way.

I can't let what I feel for Caden get in the way. I can't. No matter what I'm not hurting Caden again, not after what I did to him already.

I go up to the front door and that's when I suddenly feel like backing out. I look back at Caden who was slowly walking towards me, when he reached my side I smiled nervously at him.

"I don't know Caden..." I whisper. I look down and let my stray pieces of hair cover my face.

"Hey, whats the worse that could happen? Your mum's now a hooker and opens the door with a cigarettes halfway in her mouth, a micro skirt and a corset with a really bad country accent?" He pushes my chin up and I feel myself tearing up.

"Why are you crying?" He asks, looking really concerned.

I push my head back and burst out laughing. "Oh man, if my mum came out like that I'd freak and walk away saying 'sorry, wrong house!" I say in between fits of laughter.

"So you weren't crying cos you're sad?" Caden asks, widening his eyes and tilting his head looking like a lost, confused puppy.

I pinch his cheeks with both my hands and shake my head. "Hell to the no." I state.

"Good, I'm glad I made you laugh." His eyes brightening up and his lips turning upwards.

"Its nearly impossible to do that when I'm scared and nervous, you must have done a really good job." I say.