26: War is the Answer

Violet's Point of View

My heart beats heavily, in rhythm with the pattering of rain and gunshots from the world outside. It had finally begun. My limbs shook, but my face was ignited with a determined look. My eyebrows were etched together in confidence, and though my limbs shook in fear, my fists were clenched tightly with anticipation.

It was just me and him. Just us. Left to fend for ourselves. A one on one battle. But this wasn’t a game of Mario. If we died, we couldn’t press the restart button. This was it. The end. Who would emerge victorious?

We had solemnly gathered ourselves in a damp, underground cave, away from the wailing of battle outside. A small cylinder pipe in the corner dripping in pace with my heavy breathing. Drip. Drop. Drip. Drop. My palms became sweaty as I see Chris’ eyes darken with confidence. He was ready in his battle stance, his eyes watching my every move like an eagle. It was frightening. But I’m Vi. I’m strong. Determined. I’m not scared.

I clenched my fist so tight that I feel my jagged nails slicing into my skin, as I calmly take my pose as well, taking in a deep breath.

And then.. We fought.

With every blow I take, and every blow I throw towards him, the fire inside my heart kindles into a roaring flame, and I narrow my eyes. I can do this. 

Lena's Point of View 

My scream ripped through the dusty air surrounding me. I feel tears trailing down my cheeks as I gasped for air. The adrenaline pumped through me like a fire hydrant and I jumped to my feet, the snarl on my features taking control of me as I ripped the knife out my shoulder, gritting my teeth as the worst of pains courses through my body.

“Bastard. You’ll regret that.”

As soon as the words left my body I launched myself towards him, a battle cry ripping its way out my throat as I feel a burning ball of flame gather inside my palm. I zoomed towards him in a flash, using my super speed to take my revenge.

I plunged the fire deep into his chest as his face immediately turned pale as he dropped to the ground, bashing the ground with his fist to try to gather oxygen. His chest fell and rose unevenly. He’s injured severely, but not dead - I’m not that cruel.

I closed my eyes and blocked the battle noise around me, pushing my hands towards and bowing my head silently. I imagined a small blue butterfly flutter its wings in my mind and land on thin air, before a thousand of its friends join it. The collection of butterflies raid my mind before disappearing completely. I imagined them being wiped out, and all poured into a healing elixir, using the softest of berries, and sweetest of ambrosia. I imagined the potion bottle, before it disappears. I opened my eyes and look at my shoulder. All healed up.

Perfect.

A smirk gathered its way onto my face. I felt so.. Powerful. It was exhilarating. I cracked my knuckles before I felt my features sharpen and I thrusted my arm out to punch someone behind me without looking. I heard an ‘OOMPH’ followed by a thud, and I turned around, seeing a warrior flat on the ground, the imprint of my bracelet etched on his face.

I stiffled a laughter and jogged around the area, avoiding the most powerful of warriors and ducking under every fireball launched my way. I slowed down to a halt when I realise I can’t spot Vi.  The smile drops from my face. Vi?