Chapter Eighteen

Savannah

Monday morning, I begrudgingly get ready for class. I would much rather stay in my dorm room and sulk, but that doesn't seem like the best of ideas right now.

I put a lot of effort into my appearance, braiding the front of my hair and applying more make-up than usual. I'm so happy it's finally fall, and I can comfortably wear hoodies every day. I pull on my favorite purple hoodie and my light blue jeans.

The day drags on as Mondays usually do, and I'm not surprised when Kaden is not in creative writing. I guess we're going to continue to avoid each other. Tuesday comes, and Kaden still isn't in class. When he's not at school on Wednesday, I go to find Quinn. One of his classes let's out around the same time my last class is over.

"Hey," Quinn says.

"Hey. Have you heard from him?" I ask, not wasting any time about what I came to talk about.

"I talked to him Monday night. He was in pretty rough shape."

"What do you mean?"

"He was wasted out of his mind," Quinn says.

"Great." I sigh.

"Maybe he'll be back tomorrow." Quinn shrugs."I'm going to try to call him again when I get home."

"Ok. Well I guess I'll see you later." Quinn gave me no useful information.

I'm distracted my entire shift at Zades. I can't get Kaden off my mind. I make the irrational decision to go to his house when I get off. I have a feeling that if I were to call him first, he wouldn't answer, so there's no point.

I feel anxious the entire way to Kadens house. I mean, I am showing up to a guys house unannounced. The same guy who just a few days ago told me that I meant nothing to him. This is a really bad idea, but I need to talk to him.

When I pull up to Kadens house, I see that his truck and bike are both here. My heart starts to race as I try to figure out what I'll say to him. I shut my engine off and walk slowly to the door.

I take a deep breath and knock lightly, but there's no answer. I wait a few moments and then knock again. Well, this was a great idea. I sigh and turn around, and I nearly have a heart attack when I see Kaden standing in the front yard. I jump and put my hand over my mouth.

Kaden steps forward, and the porch light illuminates his bloodshot eyes. His flannel shirt is completely unbuttoned, revealing his chest and stomach. Per usual, he's clutching a beer bottle in his hand.

"Hey." I squeek out.

"What are you doing here?" Kaden asks, his tone unreadable.

"I ... I came to talk to you."

"Why?" He asks, leaning back against the front of his truck.

I start to twist my hands in front of me. "I need to know what you wanted to talk to me about on Saturday." I say the words quickly.

"I've already told you everything I needed to say."

"What changed?" I ask.

"What?"

"What changed between the time I left for work Saturday and the party?"

"I don't know what your talking about." Kaden presses the beer to his lips.

"Yes, you do. We were fine, and then you turned on me again."

"You should go." he says dryly, never taking his eyes off mine.

"Tell me why, and I will."

"Why, what Savannah?" He sighs

"Why you push me away. Why did you come to find me after the party ... Why I'm not enough for you."