Chapter Twenty Five

Savannah

I know it's not a good idea for me to be here, but something's wrong. Kaden hasn't been at school all week, and Quinn is avoiding me. I just need to see that he's ok and then I will leave him alone. I know we're no longer together, but I still worry about him. Quinn's car is in the driveway, and that somewhat eases my mind, knowing he's not alone. I pound on the door because I'm pissed at both of them for making me worry like this. All one of them had to do was message me back and let me know he was ok, and then I wouldn't be showing up uninvited on my ex-boyfriend's doorstep like a stalker.
I turn the handle, and the door opens. The lights are off in the living room, but light from the kitchen cast a soft glow into the living area. I shut the door just as Quinn comes out of the bathroom. "shit!" he mumbles when he sees me.
"Nice to see you too."
"Savannah, you shouldn't be here." Quinn sighs.
"You're right. I shouldn't be here, but what was I supposed to do? I was worried and no one would talk to me!" I raise my voice louder than I intended. I'm ready to continue my rant until a groan shifts my attention towards the couch. I see a pile of blankets and messy blonde hair. "Is he drunk?" I ask Quinn.
"Nope." Quinn shifts nervously and rubs the back of his neck. I walk closer to Kaden and turn on the lamp next to the couch.
"Oww," Kaden groans as the light flicks across his face.
"Oh my God." I gasp as I take in his appearance. He's soaking wet and pale. "What's going on?" I frantically shift my gaze between Kaden and Quinn.
"He's withdrawing Savannah."
"What? From Alcohol?"
"From everything."
"Shouldn't we take him to the hospital?"
"I've been keeping a close eye on him. We had to make a trip to urgent care night before last, they gave him some medicine for the vomiting. I've even been checking his blood pressure." He nods at the wrist cuff on the coffee table.
"Is he going to be ok?" I choke out as my eyes begin to water.
"I promise I'm doing everything I can for him. It's going to be a rough few days, but he's going to be alright."
"What can I do to help?" I ask as I run my fingers through his wet hair.
"Go back to your dorm." I jerk my head to look at Quinn.
"What?! I can't just leave him here like this."
"I've got it under control, and I know you want to help, but Kaden wouldn't want you to see him like this."
"I don't care. He saw me at my worst, and he didn't leave me when I needed him." Kaden lets out another grunt and shifts on the couch.
"The light and noise are probably irritating him." Quinn says.
I nod and lean down and kiss Kaden on the forehead. "I love you." I whisper before I stand and cut the lamp off. I follow Quinn into the kitchen.
"How long has he been like this?"
"Three days."
"Why didn't you call me?" I wipe at the tears streaming down my cheeks.
"Because he didn't want you to know. He didn't even want me to see him like this. He's gonna go ape shit when he realizes you saw him in this state." Quinn runs his hand over his face, and he looks exhausted.
"I love him, Quinn."
"I know you do, and that's why I know you'll do what's best for him, and you'll let me take care of him."
"Quinn, I can't just leave. He needs me." I sniffle.
"Savannah, he needs to finish detoxing. He's vulnerable right now, and he needs to be able to get through this without worrying about you being here. I know that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. Kaden has a lot of pride. That's why he's never asked for help with this. Let him sort this out. Please."
"I feel like I'm abandoning him if I leave." I put my hands over my face and start to sob. What Quinn said makes sense, but it doesn't make it any easier.
"You're not abandoning him. I'll let him know you were here. I won't leave him."
"You will keep me updated and let me know how he is?"
"Yes. I'll message you daily until this is over, which it should be soon. I need to finish this out with him. He's my best friend, and I've turned my head from this for far too long."
"Ok. I'll go, but if he gets worse, call me immediately. I just want to stay a little bit longer and I'll leave, but first I need a pen and some paper."
Quinn nods and gives my shoulder a squeeze before walking out of the kitchen and returning a few moments later with a pen and notepad.
I pour my heart into the letter I leave for Kaden. I know things are over between us, but I need him to know how proud I am of him and how I'll always be here for him when he needs me. I fold the pages in half and take one last look at the broken boy that I love more than life. I give Quinn a quick hug and tell him how amazing he is for doing this. Once I'm back at the dorm, I can't hold it in anymore. I sob for hours until I finally drift off to sleep.
**