Welcome Home

Sanem's bright smile began to fade, still maintaining a feeling of joy and warmth but sleepiness was waning away the elation she had felt earlier

Sanem's bright smile began to fade, still maintaining a feeling of joy and warmth but sleepiness was waning away the elation she had felt earlier. She was starting to feel the need to escape from the white hospital walls and introduce him to the comfort of their own home.

"What time is it?" Sanem asked quietly, not wanting to wake the little boy sleeping against her. It felt like the labour had lasted a million years, but there was still faint sunlight peeking through the window.

Can glanced at his watch. "It's only eight-thirty,"

"Really? Jesus, that was fast." Their birthing coach had sternly warned that first time mothers could expect to spend hours and hours - even days, fighting to meet their little bundle of joy for the first time. It wasn't unheard of to be blessed with a quick birth, but it wasn't exactly common either. Sanem didn't feel quite so guilty for not paying attention in the classes "That must have been a world record. I think I deserve a medal."

"Unfortunately, I don't think this particular hospital gives them out." Can chuckled, before letting his voice soften. "But, I think he's a pretty awesome prize, probably the best in the world." Can's fingers found themselves brushing over the back of the babies hand as it curled up in a fist against Sanem's chest.

"Yeah, he definitely is." She said breathlessly.

--- --- ---

The next doctor that popped in to check on them was a familiar face. Naysül entered the room with a wide, sincere smile, greeting Sanem as she walked over. "I heard you were in today, how did it go?"

"It was the worst, I only got through it because I promised myself I'd never have to do it again." Sanem laughed quietly, glancing down at the infant sleeping against the bare skin of her chest. "I think I might have already changed my mind about that though. Just don't tell Can I said that." She nodding her head towards her husband who was currently napping on the sofa in the corner of the room.

"Well, I can see why." Naysül beamed at the baby. "Isn't he just the cutest."

"Oh, he is. I just love him so much." Her words became muffled as she peppered gentle kisses against the top of his head.

"I'll be back later to discharge you in a few hours. Let me know if you need anything."

Sanem nodded as Naysül waved goodbye to the baby.

--- --- ---

She was amazed. Yesterday she'd still been pregnant, and now the nine, slow months of waiting were finally over and her little boy was here in her arms. She half expected to wake up, find herself in the comfort of her own bed - still very pregnant - only to release the whole thing had been a wonderful dream. That this was only a glimpse of what it would be like to physically hold him. That her happiness would slip away like sand running through her hands, at the disheartening truth that she still had a little longer to wait.