Red Wolf

(Photo credit to puppies.n.pinot on Instagram)

The grey clouds had given way to a pink, evening sky by the time Can arrived at the Aydin house

The grey clouds had given way to a pink, evening sky by the time Can arrived at the Aydin house. A few seconds after he knocked, Mevkibe swung the door open and beamed at him.

"Come in! Come inside, my son." She pulled him into a hug, then directed him through to the kitchen where everyone was sat - moments away from digging into the meal Mevkibe had made in celebration. There was a restless joy in the air, Can assumed Sanem had already shared the news. His theory was confirmed when Can stepped into the kitchen and Nihat greeted him.

"Congratulations my son!" His father in law pulled him in for a hug, patting him on the back. "We are all very excited!" Nihat grinned.

"Thank you." Can replied. "I am very excited myself." He glanced to where Sanem was sat at the table, an untroubled smile spread across her face at the sight of her husband and father.

"Sit! Sit!" Mevkibe insisted, nudging him towards the chair beside Sanem. "I prepared plenty of food."

"Mother, that is an understatement. You cooked enough to feed the whole neighborhood!" Leyla laughed.

Can took Sanem's hand under the table, while the others chatted. He brushed a thumb across her knuckles, asking a silent 'Are you okay?' Sanem nodded at him with a content sigh.

---

An hour of spirited conversation and exquisite food passed before Can and Sanem excused themselves.

"No! Don't go yet." Mevkibe protested.

"We have to, Arslan and the cats are waiting," Sanem said, hugging her mother goodbye. Mevkibe embraced Can in turn, while Sanem said goodbye to Leyla and Nihat.

"Look after her," Mevkibe whispered in his ear. It wasn't a threat, she knew Can. She trusted him. But she felt the need to say it anyway.

"Always." He promised. Earning him a gentle pat on the cheek when Mevkibe pulled away.

They all waved goodbye from the doorway as Can's car pulled away. It was quiet on the ride home - they weren't avoiding conversation, just simply happy to sit in companionable silence. Sanem turned the radio on and hummed along to the music that was playing.

---

When they returned to the house, they quickly checked on the cats - giving the kittens their evening meal then saying goodnight. Arslan was given his dinner, mildly perturbed that it arrived so late but happy to be given food none the less.

Not long after, Sanem and Can headed upstairs with Arslan following at their heels. They both prepared for bed.

Arslan, now overfamiliar with the routine, jumped up onto the mattress and settled himself at the foot of the bed. Sanem changed into her pajamas. Then she sat, crossing her legs underneath her, while Can finished up in the bathroom. Her thumbs twiddling in her lap. She thought over the conversation she had with her mother that afternoon, about a particular subject that had been troubling her. Mevkibe had smiled at her reassuringly and simply said 'talk to him.'