Broken Families

Arslan watched in puzzlement as the humans rushed around the house, throwing random items into a big duffle bag and shouting at each other from opposite ends of the building

"What do we need? Towels? Toothbrushes?" Leyla yelled from the bathroom.

Mevkibe appeared in the doorway. "Do you have a have a hospital bag packed already?"

"We do," Sanem replied, keeping her breathing steady. "There's one in the house - and another in Can's car."

"We can pick one up on the way."

Arslan crouched guardedly next to Sanem on the bed, unsettled by all the comotion and by the fact she smelt strange - she smelt like anxiety. Stronger than he was familiar with; it came and went in harsh waves, her hand burying into the scruff of his neck as she pinched her eyes shut.

He heard the engine of Sanem's car at the front of the house, someone must have pulled it up outside the door. Convenient. Sanem wasn't particularly keen on walking at the moment.

Leyla and Mevkibe appeared in the bedroom doorway a few moments later and were soon helping Sanem waddle carefully down the stairs as he trotted down behind them. The makeshift hospital-bag was thrown into the back of her car and Sanem clambered inside. He was shocked when Leyla grabbed him by the collar, preventing him from jumping in beside her, instead, tugging him through to a different house that smelled unfamiliar and entirely unlike home.

What was happening? Was she about to have her puppy? Why wasn't he allowed to be there? But his questions were disappointingly answered with a rushed apology from Leyla as she closed the door in his face.

--- --- ---

A rushed detour to the house; a frantic drive to the hospital, and a blush-inducing pelvic exam later, Sanem could finally breathe.

Luckily Naysül had been on duty at the labour ward and had intercepted them at the door with a bright smile, leading Sanem's wheelchair through to a private room before confirming that she was, in fact, not having a baby today. The contractions had spontaneously dissipated on the drive over. Now replaced with his much more pleasant occasional kicking. You have the best timing little guy. What was all that about, huh? Are you that upset that your dad is away that you staged a protest?

"Thankfully, it was just Braxton Hicks - granted quite an intense case but there has been no change in your cervix that would indicate you're going into labour," Naysül reassured. "It was just a false alarm. The little joey is staying in his pouch for now."

"Oh, thank god." Sanem sighed. Can was still half a world away, it would have been a miracle for him to return in time. She pushed the panic from her veils - happy that she wouldn't have to face this without him.

"Contractions like these aren't unusual, but I would recommend taking it easy for the rest of the pregnancy. Try not to do anything even remotely strenuous." Naysül warned.