A Trip To The Vets

The next day they both agreed that Sanem would stay at home and watch over the cats. She called a vets office and booked an appointment.

They needed to check if Ahu was chipped. Can had been concerned that life as a stray could have left her with a few unresolved medical problems. Sanem also wanted to make sure the little tortoiseshell kitten was doing okay. Ilkay seemed to be improving, but Sanem had never had a cat before. Let alone a sickly, underweight kitten. She wanted to make sure they were caring for them properly. She also wanted some advice about looking after Arslan. The house was going to be busy when he arrived, which was scheduled for later that day. She wondered if their recent acquisition of the cats would be a problem with the rescue center.

Sanem's excitement at suddenly having a household of pets was subdued by the realisation that they weren't just pets, but living creatures that would need a lot of care and attention. She wasn't put off by the fact; it just gave her a sense of seriousness. If she was going to keep them, and love them, and care for them, then she was going to do a damn good job of it.

Sanem entered the study, now affectionately nicknamed the 'kitten nursery' by Can. The movement of the door caught Ahu's attention and she let out a chirp. The long-haired kittens buried into their mother's fur.

"Hey little girl." Sanem cooed. She had quickly learned that although Ahu liked attention - it had to be on Ahu's terms. She was very picky about humans. Can had spent the whole evening feeding her treats and talking to her gently before she had let him touch her. But god forbid he get too close to the kittens. The grey tabby seemed to trust Sanem around the babies and was happy enough for her to pick them up, but never at the same time. She had started wailing yesterday, disturbed at being separated from both kittens at once. Sanem didn't attempt it again.

---

Sanem changed the water in their bowl, topped up the food, and checked the heated blanket was still warm. She gave Ahu a quick scratch under the chin. Then headed downstairs to fetch the cat carrier they had bought yesterday. Just as she entered the downstairs bedroom, that they had been using for storage, she received a call. It was Arslan's rescue center.

"Günaydın" Sanem answered. She had been expecting them.

"Günaydın. Am I speaking to Mrs. Divit?" Sanem loved it when people called her that.

"Yes, that's me."

"I am calling about Arslan. I just wanted to confirm if you would still be collecting him tonight?"

"Yes, we intend to." She replied, moving the phone from one ear to the other. "I have a question though... We recently acquired a few cats. I was wondering if that would be a problem?" Sanem really hoped it wasn't going to be an issue, but many of the dogs they had looked at adopting had required pet-free homes.

The lady on the phone went quiet for a second. "Um... one moment please." Sanem thought she heard the lady walking away from the phone. Oh no.

Sanem's insides twisted at the thought of having to choose between Arslan and the cats. He was a cute, healthy, young puppy. He would have no problem finding another home. The cats, however... Sanem knew who she would choose.

A minute later the lady returned.

"That should be absolutely fine!" She said. "I just talked with Eylül, his career - you met her last week. She thinks he will be alright as long as they are introduced slowly. I would keep them in separate rooms for a few weeks though." Sanem finally took a breath. Oh, thank god.

Sanem explained that the cats were housed in their study and that Arslan would be kept in the kitchen for now. She was told to come by the shelter for 5 pm. Sanem wrote this down on a note, gave her thanks and said goodbye.

She clutched her phone to her chest and grinned. They were getting their puppy tonight!

---

Sanem found the cat carrier and took it upstairs. She coaxed Ahu inside with a treat and placed the kittens inside too. Ahu arranged herself so she was curled up in a ball surrounding her babies. Soon Sanem had them in the back seat of her car, and she was heading off to the vets.

When she arrived she was asked to sign in, then told to sit in the waiting room, where she stayed for 10 minutes before her name was called.

"Sorry for the delay Mrs. Divit." The veterinary nurse said, guiding her into a check-up roam. She was a short, black-haired woman, wearing blue scrubs covered in little, running, cartoon animals.

"It's no problem." Sanem waved her free hand in the air, dismissively. "Thank you for seeing us at such short notice."

The vet checked each cat in turn, while Sanem told her the story of how she found them in the park. The vet smiled as Sanem spoke.

"It's a good thing she found you. Or they might not have survived" She said, looking over the kittens. The vet confirmed that Ilkay was severely underweight, likely due to worms. She told Sanem they were probably about three weeks old, but it was hard to tell as they were both smaller than they should have been. Ahu was unchipped and around two. The grey tabby was in near perfect health - apparently, she was also slightly underweight. Sanem was given a list of supplies to buy including flea treatment and a de-worming kit. After explaining about Arslan's arrival, Sanem was also given tips on how to use scented blankets to familiarise the animals with each other before introduction.

"I would continue feeding Ilkay by hand. She might be struggling to nurse if she is too weak. Ahu should be kept indoors, it would be good if you could bring her back when the kittens are weaned, for neutering" Sanem nodded, making a note in her head. She made sure to book Ahu in at the front desk, for 6 weeks time.

---

When Sanem returned home she released Ahu and the kittens into their nest. She snapped a photo of them and sent it to Can and a few others from the office, with an update message. Then she opened her laptop, sitting at the desk to try to get on with work, which was beginning to pile up.

A few hours passed when an alarm on her phone chimed. It was a reminder to feed Ilkay. Sanem went downstairs to prepare the formula in a large syringe, then returned to the cats.

Ahu had been unsettled by the journey to the vets. She wasn't pleased when Sanem reached into the nest for Ilkay, letting out a quiet growl. Sanem apologised and held Ilkay to her chest. The kitten mewed softly. Sanem offered her the bottle, and Ilkay latched on.

The first time Sanem had done this last night Ilkay hadn't understood what was happening, she failed to eat much. It had worried Sanem into thinking the kitten would never get the hang of it. She needed to eat. Or she wouldn't gain back her strength. But Sanem's worries had been unfounded, that morning Ilkay had figured out how to use the syringe and had no trouble since.

The kitten's front legs reached out, grasping the air as Sanem fed her.

When Ilkay began refusing more food, Sanem placed her back against her mother, then returned to her laptop. Sighing at the build-up of emails she had received. She set to work.