Arslan

(Photo credit to puppies.n.pinot on instagram)

Weeks had passed since the anniversary

Weeks had passed since the anniversary. Sanem and Can's house was finished, finally. To celebrate, they had invited the whole office over for the evening on Friday.

Sanem had installed fairly lights over pergola above the back porch. Multi-coloured glass lanterns were hung from trees. Boxes of winter flowers dotted around the deck - hydrangeas and camellias - a moving in gift from Sanem's parents.

Their new garden was beautiful. They wanted to show it off to everyone. Luckily they had a small outdoor fireplace where everyone could congregate without getting too cold. Months of Can's guarding work had left a pile of trimmings, leaves and branches ready for the fire.

Sanem spent the party showing Ceycey and Deren around the property. Downstairs consisted of three rooms. An open plan kitchen, dining area and living room, took up most of the space. There was a spare room (currently being used for storage) and a single bathroom. To the back of the house, near the arrangement of sofas circling the fireplace and tv, was a sliding glass door. Through here brought them out on to the deck. The pergola overhead was entwined with vines and twinkling white fairy lights. Short steps led down to the garden. The fireplace only a meter away - surrounded by cushioned deck chairs.

By now, Deren had warmed to Sanem. In a discussion seven months ago, Sanem had promised she was not trying to steal Deren's job. Sanem apologised, admitting she had great respect for Deren, and hoped to continue learning from her. Eventually, Deren had moved on from Can. Sanem became an official co-creative director, under Deren's guidance and supervision. Deren quickly regained her confidence. Now working as Sanem's mentor, and not as a rival. Working close together had bonded the two. Now, Sanem thought of Deren as a close friend. As did Deren; not that she would ever admit it.

---

Sanem's parents visited for lunch on Saturday. Both were still slightly embarrassed about the pregnancy mix up. Though Mevkibe was still half convinced, and desperately hoping, she would get the news any day now. They had, after all, been married for nearly half a year.

"Any news about our grand-puppy?" Mevkibe joked while they were eating.

"Yes!" Can laughed. "There is a local charity that have a dog we like the look of." Sanem smiled at his enthusiasm. She had wanted a dog for years but her parents had always said 'no'. She was glad Can was an animal lover too. Sanem pulled up a photo on her phone, of the dog in question. Then handed it over to her parents. He was a beautiful four-month old German Shepherd and Golden Retreiver mix.

"I will admit..." Mevkibe said. "He is quite cute."

"He is called Arslan. We are visiting him tomorrow." Sanem tucked her phone away. "If the charity likes us, then we could be bringing him home next Wednesday."

"How will you have time for a dog you are both at work most of the day." Nihat hadn't meant the question in an accusatory tone. He was simply concerned.

"Yes. Dogs are like babies. They require a lot of attention." Mevkibe added. "Good practise for the both of you." Sanem rolled her eyes.

"He will be coming to work with us." Can said. "Being boss has its privileges." They had discussed the idea with the office. Everyone had all been excited. Arslan would stay in a section of Can's office. Making it easy to take him on walks in their lunch breaks. A secure section of their garden was cornered off and a large dog house constructed, equipped with its own heating. Here, he would stay if he had to be left at home for an extended period of time. Sanem explained.

---

It was all either of them could think about all evening. Sanem could hardly sleep she was so excited. They were getting a puppy! She had been waiting for this opportunity since she was 12. Can had been waiting even longer. His mother had never liked animals. Even after she left, his father didn't have the time.

The rescue center had organised a home check earlier that week. The property was perfect; they passed with flying colours.

The next morning Sanem woke early. She kissed Can until he woke up too.

"Günaydın my love!" She nuzzled his neck with her nose. "Will you get up? I want to leave soon!"

"We have all day Sanem," he groaned playfully. "You are such a child." He laughed as she jumped up, pulling the covers off the bed. She dashed into the bathroom to get ready, before he could complain.

Can drove the hour-long trip to the shelter while Sanem bounced in the chair next to him. He placed a hand on her leg to try to calm her down. It worked. Slightly.

---

They arrived. A short blond lady greeted them at the desk with a smile.

"Günaydın." She said shaking their hands. "My name is Eylül. Are you here to see Arslan?"

"Yes." They answered together. They were shown through to an empty room, where Arslan would be brought in a moment for the introduction. Can and Sanem were left alone.

"What if he doesn't like us." Sanem worried.

"He will love us, Sanem. Puppies love everyone." Can took her hand.

The door opened again. And there he was. Pulling against the lead, tail wagging, tongue out. Eylül released his lead, letting him run towards them. Sanem dropped to her knees as he bound straight at her. He was smaller than she expected. The photo's had not done him justice; he was so much cuter in real life too.

"What an adorable little baby." Sanem gushed. Running her hands through his soft fur. Arslan loped on gangly legs between Sanem and where Can had sat on the floor. Bowing to both of them in excitement, before rushing back to the other. Overwhelmed with all the new people he was meeting today. He trotted back to Can, sniffing his outstretched hand, then plopping his head onto his lap. Aslan calmed for a moment, enjoying Can's attention. He closed his eyes. Sanem held her breath. He is so adorable, my heart hurts.

Arslan jumped up again bringing his attention back to Sanem. He found a rope toy in the corner of the room and ran back, presented it to her.

It didn't take them long to decide they wanted him. Undoubtedly. Eylül agreed she was happy with the match-up. They were handed papers to sign and soon they were making the €100 adoption donation.

"As you may have been told, Arslan still needs a final medical check, and we have more paperwork to do on our end before he can be taken home. He should be ready by Wednesday. We will give you a call."

"Thank you. We look forward to it." Can said, smiling.

"Güle güle." They both said, waving goodbye to Eylül, before walking out the door.

"I love him Can." Sanem admitted as they made their way to the car. Can smiled at his wife.

"I love him too."