Olive Branches and White Flags

"What the hell are you doing here?" Sanem hissed.

Huma stood on the doorstep. A forced, polite smile on her face. "Well, don't you look pretty." she said, ignoring the venom behind Sanem's words.

Sanem held her ground. Standing in the doorway, attempting to hide her stomach with folded arms. It failed, instead of hiding herself she only brought more attention to the unmistakable bump pushing out against the fabric of her dress. Huma's eyes flickered down to Sanem's belly; the lack of surprise on her face made Sanem furious. How had she found out? Who had told her?

What was she doing here?

She felt Can approach from behind her, he placed a hand on her back. Noticing who their unwanted guest was, he immediately tensed up. He pushed himself in front of Sanem, reaching out an arm out to nudge her behind him slightly, instinctively shielding her from his mother's gaze. Not that he needed to, Sanem's fierce side, which so often lay dormant, was beginning to rise to the surface. Like a koala turning into a momma bear - fuelled by the determination to protect the little boy growing in her womb. A voice whispered in her head, words she'd buried in the back of her mind, the echo of the promise Huma had left the last time they'd seen her.

You'll never be good enough for him.

Sanem blinked, forcing the words from her mind. She placed a hand on her stomach, trying to calm the baby's kicking, no doubt set off by her spiked emotions. I'm sorry. I'll get us away from her in a minute.

"What do you want?" Can asked gruffly.

"I heard I was having a grandchild. I wanted to see if it was true."

Sanem swallowed thickly, feeling Can's rage building beside her. "Then I guess you wasted a trip. You're not having a grandchild; we don't want you anywhere near our family." Can said, attempting to control his voice.

Sanem filched when she felt something touch the back of her hand. It was Arslan, pushing his nose into her palm. She put her fingers through the rough of his neck, holding onto him like an anchor.

Can didn't budge from the doorway, Huma gaped in mild shock at her son's cold welcome, taking a step back in surprise when Arslan reached forward in an attempt to greet her.

"I think it might be better if you'd leave," Sanem spoke slowly. Huma glanced at her before nodding. It was only a second after Huma had turned around that Can slammed the door shut behind her. The baby gave out a startled thump, Sanem rubbed a hand over where he'd kicked. Shhh, it's alright.

"Can." She warned.

"What does she think she's doing? Showing up here like that." He stormed into the kitchen.

"Can!" She followed.

"What right does she think she has? After what she did?" He fumed.

Sanem wasn't fond of the memory. Despite all Huma's meddling, Sanem had tried so hard to be civil at first; no matter how overbearing and painful it all became she pushed through it with a determined smile. But Huma had an ability to hurt those around her that seemed to come as naturally as breathing. The morning of their wedding they were unsure whether to be happy or not at Huma's absence. Later, when Huma had torn through the reception crowd, leaving a wake of hushed confusion, she'd spat the words loud enough for the whole room to hear.

You'll never be good enough for him.

Sanem sighed, letting Can vent, but paying more attention to the anxious movement in her belly. Eventually, she walked over to her ranting husband, taking his hand and placing it over her stomach. The tension seeped out of him in an instant.