Flowers and Teddies

"So, where is Can?" Ayhan asked, settling down on the sofa and crossing her legs underneath her

"So, where is Can?" Ayhan asked, settling down on the sofa and crossing her legs underneath her. Making herself comfortable as if she owned the place. Sanem had been glad when Ayhan had taken to the new house. Growing up as neighbours and best friends, meant that the comfort of each other's childhood homes had become intimately familiar; almost to the point of being interchangeable with their own. Sanem hadn't wanted Ayhan to lose that feeling, and worried her friend might feel out of place in her and Can's house. But that hadn't happened at all. Ayhan had practically adopted it as her own, and had even helped with some of the renovations. She regularly visited on weekend mornings, and occasionally in the evenings on weekdays as well. It was beginning to feel like a second home.

Keeping the pregnancy secret from her best friend had been a trial for Sanem. But she needed to be sure; she needed to know that everything was alright. That the baby was healthy and definitely happening - before she let Ayhan in on the secret.

"No. He is out hiking," Sanem replied to Ayhan's question from the kitchen, emptying a packet of biscuits onto a plate. "With Metin. Somewhere around Belgrad." She moved back over to the sofa, placing the biscuits on the coffee table along with two cups of tea. Ayhan immediately reached forward for one. It was Sanem that insisted Can go out for the day. She wanted the house to herself - to finally tell Ayhan the news.

As they were prone to do, the large kittens soon wondered over. Ihsan immediately nuzzled his way into the space between Ayhan's crossed legs. He curled his body into a ball of cream-tabby fur, then began purring as Ayhan stroked his head.

"Is Arslan around? Can we take him for a walk later?" Ayhan asked, cooing at the cat.

"No, sorry. He went with Can." Sanem apologised. It made her smile to know Ayhan had fallen in love with Sanem's new family. She was confident her friend would be just as head-over-heels for the latest addition - when it arrived.

Ilkay immediately commandeered Sanem's lap as soon as she sat down. The kitten arranged herself comfortably, her nose pressing into Sanem's t-shirt and her little paws needing into the skin of her stomach. A gentle and quiet vibration began emanating from Ilkay's chest. Sanem buried her hand into the cats long mottled fur, wondering if the baby would be able to near the noise. Could it even hear at all yet? She had read that babies listened to, and grew familiar with the sound of their mother's heartbeat during gestation. If Ilkay continued doing this during the whole pregnancy, would the baby recognise the cat by her purring? Sanem smiled at the idea of the two forming an attachment the minute the baby was brought home.

"Allah, that is so cute." Ayhan gushed, watching the tortoiseshell burry her face into Sanem's stomach. Sanem fought off a silly grin. Yes. Yes, it is. And you don't know the half of it.

"She has been doing that a lot lately..." Sanem began, running her hands along Ilkay's sides. Trying to prevent the mischievous grin that was fighting to appear on her face. She took a deep breath. "I think she knows there's a baby in there." She said, tapping a finger against her stomach. Immediately making Ayhan choke on her tea. Ayhan stared at her for a moment, trying to wipe up the mess that was dribbling down her chin.

"You're pregnant?" Ayhan gasped, placing the cup down. Sanem nodded, her grin widening. She laughed as her friend pulled her into a tight hug. The movement disturbed the cats, both of them relocating to an empty sofa cushion.

"Oh, I am so happy for you, Sanem!" Ayhan squeezed her. "How far along are you?" She asked, pulling away.

"A little over three months..."

"Three months!" Ayhan interrupted, grabbing a nearby pillow and hitting Sanem over the head with it. "You have been pregnant for three months and I am only just now hearing about it?"

"I'm sorry! We were waiting," Sanem giggled, stealing the pillow from her and throwing it across the room. "I had some concerns about..." She started, her voice turning somber.

"Oh..." Ayhan breathed. "I guess I can forgive you." She joked.

"Although, I am surprised Ceycey didn't mention anything to you..."

"Ceycey already knows?" Ayhan gasped, reaching for another pillow.

"He only found out yesterday!" Sanem said, raising her hands in surrender. "But he had been suspicious for a while..."

---

They continued talking for hours. Sanem eventually fetched the sonogram photo hidden in her sock drawer, to present to Ayhan.

"I don't see anything?"

"Well, there isn't all that much to see at the moment." Sanem smiled. "It's here, look." She said, pointing to the black, bean-shaped blob.

"Is it a girl or a boy?"

"We don't know yet."

It felt as if Ayhan had a never-ending list of questions, only some of which Sanem had answers to. It was a few hours later when the overpowering need for a nap began creeping up on Sanem, but she didn't want Ayhan to leave yet; Can still wasn't back.

"You sleep, Sanemsie," Ayhan insisted. "I'll clean up." She began gathering the selection of plates and cups that had accumulated on the coffee table, carrying them over to the sink. Sanem fetched a blanket from the cupboard and curled up on the sofa. Her eyes soon drooping shut.

---

Can returned a while later. His keys jingled in the door, followed by the sound of Arslan's paws tapping down the wooden hallway as he trotted inside looking for Sanem - but being greeted instead, by Ayhan.

Can soon appeared in the doorway, a rucksack on his shoulders and a large gift-bag in his hand. He smiled politely when he saw Ayhan, sat by the feet of his sleeping wife.

"Good afternoon, Can." She said quietly, not wanting to disturb Sanem.

"Afternoon, Ayhan" Can smiled, placing the bags on the floor. "How is she?"

"She is great," Ayhan smiled. "And pregnant apparently. Congratulations." She stood up to give him a hug.

"Thank you." Can grinned.

"Are you two talking about me?" Sanem mumbled against a pillow, her eyes blinking open.

"Of course," Ayhan said as Can sat down on the sofa next to Sanem, placing a hand on her knee. They smiled softly at each other in greeting. Ayhan moved to peer into the mystery gift bag Can had brought in. "What's all this?" She asked.

"Oh, that's from Metin." He replied, standing up to fetch the bag, bringing it over so Sanem could see. He pulled out a selection of pretty, pink and white flowers.

"Ohhh, Cordelias!" Ayhan exclaimed. Sanem sniffed them, then immediately sneezed. Putting them on the table as Can pulled out a second gift. An elephant teddy. Made of soft grey fur, with blue, patch-worked felt lining the insides of the ears and the bottom of the feet. Sanem reached out for it, running her fingers along the silky fur and feeling the need to press it against her lips.

"He immediately demanded he go buy you something after I told him about the baby," Can explained. "He wants to come over for dinner this week to congratulate you properly." Sanem sat up, noticing there was more in the bag. "These are from me." Can said, pulling out another bundle of flowers, these ones small and light blue, mixed in with larger white ones.

"They are beautiful, Can. Thank you." These ones didn't make her sneeze, for which she was grateful, but they did nearly make her cry.