Little Lamb

It was a bittersweet feeling when he was finally out

It was a bittersweet feeling when he was finally out. Because, thank fuck it was over, but she had become so used to the familiarity of carrying him that now he was gone it felt like a piece of her was missing.

She was exhausted. Closing her eyes and nearly giving in to the demands of her body that was screaming at her to collapse against the bed and rest for an eternity. But her heart wouldn't let her. It whispered something else, as her senses focused in on the soft crying filling the room, something quiet yet insistent that she couldn't refuse.

Find him. Look at him.

Hold him.

It all happened in an instant. She blinked her eyes open, and before she even had time to reach out for him the midwife was placing him against her chest. A wailing bundle of pink, wrinkled skin and wriggling limbs. Her missing piece was back.

And he was beautiful.

Time seemed to stand still as she looked at him, utterly wonderstruck, gazing at him with soft eyes as she memorized every inch of his skin. Her arms naturally forming a cradle around his tiny body and holding him against her chest.

He was so small, so delicate. How had she made something so perfect? With his perfect little face, perfect squishy nose and perfect little ears. Her eyes lingered over his hands, noticing how stupidly small his fingernails were. She ran her thumb over them, her heart fluttering at how adorable every tiny piece of him was.

She was amazed that he had managed to fit inside her mere moments ago, he seemed too small to be out in the world yet too large to have actually been inside a human being.

She hadn't expected him to feel as heavy as he was, but the weight was pleasant against her. It was so strange to finally be holding him, to feel his small body against hers, so solid and warm, when for months he had been nothing more than an idea, an imagination in her mind. It was like meeting a person you had only know through whispers behind thin walls. Introductions behind the lining of her belly, the feeling of his feet against the palm of her hand had been magical enough. But this was something else entirely. Something that felt as though it was shifting the very fabric of her universe.

She felt Can press a kiss to the side of her head, pulling her out of her reverie. She leaned into him, noticing the gentle tears falling from his eyes as he pulled away. He was beaming. Bright and beautiful and proud, one of his rare smiles that was made all the more radiant by the emotion in his eyes.

"Are you okay? He sniffed, his voice wobbling slightly.

She smiled back at him, nodding, suddenly becoming aware of the wetness streaking down her own cheeks, tasting the saltiness on her tongue. She brushed them away, laughing quietly at herself.

"He's so beautiful," Can whispered, reaching out to take the babies hand as it flailed in the air. He held his son's palm between his fingers, brushing his fingertips over the baby's skin until his delicate hand slowly enclosed around his father's thumb. Can nearly stopped breathing. Sanem laughed softly at him, her eyes naturally pulled to the bundle against her chest, now quiet, eyes still firmly closed, too overwhelmed with the brand new sensations of the outside world to attempt to venture any further.