Azi

Belly buttons, Sanem had decided, were very strange

Belly buttons, Sanem had decided, were very strange. It was such tiny little part of her body, something that she'd never particularly given any thought to. And yet, here was a perfect mini human that her body had grown entirely without instruction, who had, only yesterday, been literally tethered to her body by a fleshy lifeline. A connection that had joined them together and had allowed her to nurture and sustain him, the remnants of which would wither away to leave an unappreciated and ignored mark on his abdomen forever. It was slightly gross, but that didn't make it any less miraculous.

Oh, he was going to have the cutest little belly button. So tiny. Just like every other part of him. The thought nearly made her heart stutter.

Sanem lay on her side on the bed with Azi beside her, one of her hands rested lightly on his belly as her thumb brushed over the fabric of his onesie. The infant's eyes blinked slowly, growing tired. Sanem's were doing something similar.

She smiled lazily at her husband as he returned from helping Mevkibe set up the spare bedroom. She held a finger against her lips, signaling for him to keep quiet as he cautiously settled down on the bed on the baby's other side, careful not to rock the mattress too much.

Despite the late hour, there was still a bright sparkle in Sanem's eyes which were still attentively transfixed on the baby falling asleep nestled on top of the duvet between them.

"He didn't exist," She spoke softly. "And now he does. It's so crazy."

"Yeah, it's pretty insane." Can agreed, smiling at the bright love in her eyes. The last nine months seemed to have flown by, it was strange to imagine the world as it had been before, when they had been 'two' rather than 'three.' Strange in a way that almost felt cold. It had been like this for less than a day by this had already become life now, and he couldn't imagine it any other way.

"I made him." Sanem whispered, her words full of awe, sounding joyful and proud and slightly bashful that she'd even spoken the words out loud.

Can chuckled, nodding his head in agreement. In his heart, he had known for years that she would be the best mother in the world, a truth he'd held with a certainty he'd scarcely felt before. Watching Sanem meeting their son for the first time in the hospital earlier had only solidified that belief. He had expected that seeing her like this, so utterly head-over-heels with their own child, would completely melt his heart like fluffy marshmallows floating in a cup of hot chocolate. But he was feeling something else just as intensely. Gratitude. She'd made them a family, and he was unfathomably grateful for it.

Can watched as Sanem gently brushed the back of her hand over the soft fuzz of hair on top of Azi's head. "Do you think he knows?" She asked, her eyes turning into warm pools of brown.

Can's forehead creased slightly. "Knows what?"

Sanem moved her hand, placing it over the baby's own as his arm reached out, curled in a little fist against the bedding. "How much I love him." She breathed.