A Misunderstanding

The rest of the week passed uneventfully. Can managed to acquire a new small advertising contract, so the office became busy with activity again. Leyla struggled to find time to question her sister further, becoming too swamped with work.

Friday evening came around quickly. Sanem wanted nothing more than to curl up in bed with Can for a movie night. The house refurbishments were nearly complete. The radiators had been installed. Only the spare bedroom and study still required decorating and furnishing. They had planned to do so over the weekend. Hoping to start in the morning, before the anniversary dinner, and finish Sunday evening. Knowing they would be busy for the next two days, neither of them were very interested in cooking. Sanem was happy to admit that her culinary skills had marginally improved in the last few months. Enough that she had become a help in the kitchen rather than an amusing hindrance. She still had a way to go before Can would trust her in the kitchen unsupervised, however.

They decided to order pizza.

Takeout had become an unfortunate habit between them. Sanem was sure she had put a bit of weight on because of it. Can promised her she had not, but that it did not matter if she did. She was still beautiful. He promised they would start eating healthily again after today. But then, he had said that last week too.

"We need a salad at least." She insisted. Can was chopping up tomatoes and cucumber when the pizza arrived. Sanem had wanted to eat in bed but thought better of it. Both of them had become very house-proud in their new home and didn't want to make a mess. They ate instead, in the lounge. A documentary on reptiles started and they settled in to watch it. Sanem nearly hissed at the screen when a segment about tortoises came up.

"Look at them!" She pointed. "Look at their evil eyes!" Can laughed at her silliness. Then wrapped her up in his arms.

---

The next morning Can rose early. Sanem was still fast asleep. He left her snuggled up in bed to visit the local hardware store. Their choice of paint colour had already been made; they had selected a range of testing palates and decided on a light blue for the office and a soft orange for the spare bedroom. A wine shop nearby provided the chance for him to purchase a few bottles for the anniversary dinner.

He was back in the house, placing the wine in the fridge when Sanem finally woke up. She came downstairs, still dressed in her pajamas and gave him a hug from behind.

"Günaydın." She yawned.

"Günaydın, Sanem." He turned around to hug her properly. "How are you today?" He asked brushing a strand of hair away from her face.

"I am perfect." She smiled at him.

She made some tea and toast for the both of them, while Can took the paint and brushes up to the study where they would be working. Sanem changed out of her pajamas into the overalls Can had lent her. They were old and covered in paint splotches from the other rooms they had already decorated. They were also way too big. She had to roll the sleeves four times before her hands could reach through.

They both set to work. Using paint rollers to cover the majority of walls in the pretty sky-blue colour Sanem had chosen. Can used a smaller brush around the doorframe. Sanem took a break. Sat on the floor watching his careful brush strokes, she became entranced by the movement of his arms. How lucky I am, she thought, to be married to a man with a mind, body, and soul like his. She searched for her phone, which had been swallowed by the overalls large pockets. Then took a video of him. Sending it to Leila, captioned "The study is nearly done!" She stayed there, observing him for a moment more before she remembered something.

"Can, do you remember the conversation about dogs we had before we were married?"

"I remember." He smiled, knowing where this would lead.

"I think it's about time we got one."

---

After the second layer of paint had been applied and they were pleased with their handiwork, they both changed out of the overalls and had lunch. A few hours remained before they would be expected at Sanem's parents. Sanem cleaned herself up. Washing the rouge bits of paint of her hands and... nose? How did that get there? She prepared her outfit on the bed. Then, taking her time, arranged her hair into a braid and finished her makeup. Sanem checked herself in the mirror one last time.

Perfect.

Can entered the bedroom just as she had just finished getting ready.

"How do I look?" She asked twirling in her dress.

"Beautiful, as always Sanem." He smiled. Soon they were both ready to leave.

---

Leyla and Mevkibe had spent the whole morning gossiping. They had decided, undoubtedly, that Can and Sanem's decision to move into their new house so suddenly was very suspicious.

"The timing is perfect. Sanem must have been feeling an itch. It happens when you're expecting. You start nesting." Mevkibe pointed out. Leyla nodded. "They even made sure to buy one with a nursery!"

"True. Although, I believe they have been referring to it as a study." Leyla countered.

"Study!" Mevkibe scoffed. "They just call it that to throw us off. So they can keep it a secret until the big reveal."

"You two are just making up stories where they don't exist. We don't know anything for sure." Nihat said bringing over the teapot to refill their glasses.

"Thank you, baba." Leyla took the teapot from him. "Perhaps you are right." It was at that moment that Leyla received her sister's message. She let out a squeal, causing her mother to jump.

"Allah, child. What is it now?"

"Look!" Leyla handed over the phone to her mother. "She has sent us a clue." Mevkibe gasped.

"It must be true. I am sure of it." Mevkibe said. "A study! Allah, it's a nursery! Look at the colour of it." She handed the phone to Nihat, who frowned. Could it be true?

"How do you think they will tell us?" Mevkibe was buzzing with excitement at the thought of being a grandmother.

"When Alena was pregnant she revealed it to her family by sending them all sonogram photos. Along with a card, that just said 'surprise'." Leyla said, taking a sip of tea.

"The both of you should be careful when they arrive. I don't want you upsetting Sanem in case you are wrong." Nihat stood, handing the phone back to Leyla. He left to start preparations on the evening meal shaking his head at the craziness his wife and daughter were getting into.