A Secret Or A Burden

Alyssa stayed still, examining the woman from the distance. The woman wore her dark hair in a ponytail and wore a navy coat and jeans with dark brown winter boots, which was unusual for the current season as she looked down at Hanna's gravest She continuously switched from one decision to the other. Approach her? Or walk away?

She slowly approached the stranger, one small, stealthy step at a time. The woman turned and noticed her. She looked shocked.

"Do I know you?" Alyssa asked her. She could clearly see the woman's face now. She had light bronze skin and dark eye

"Sorry, are you..." The woman began, scanning the girl from head to toe...Alyssa?". The girl was stunned. How did this woman know her name. Alyssa slowly nodded. "I'm Ally. Ally Hills". A lump grew in Alyssa's throat, and her heart started beating louder and louder.

"H-Hills?" she stuttered. She never thought she'd hear that name ever again. Or at least she hoped.

"I'm Scott's sister. Well...foster sister, " Ally explained, sounding disappointed or embarrassed. Alyssa stared at her, processing the new information very slowly. 

"You grew up with my father?" Ally nodded, and Alyssa was beyond shocked. She never knew Scott had a foster sister. Or anyone for that matter. "I've never heard of you before."

"Me and Scott became...somewhat estranged I guess. Since...I'm sure you're well aware. And your mother wanted to raise away from him, meaning away from all of us. To protect you."

"You knew my mom?"

Ally laughed a little. "I grew up with her. We were neighbours and attended the same school."

"Wow. I never knew that. But that's pretty understandable. I don't know much about my parents' past."

"Have you got a pen?" Ally asked, reaching into her bag and pulling out a simple light brown notebook

"Yes, I do," she replied. She always kept an 'emergency' pen in her coat pocket for school. She handed it to Ally, who started writing down numbers.

"I'll give you my number and we can meet up, if you want. I'm sure you've moved on from Scott, so I understand if you want to just leave the past in the past. "

Alyssa took the number and delicately placed it in her pocket.

"Yeah, we can meet up somewhere, at some point. I'd love that, " Alyssa replied with a smile.

"That's great, I'd love to get to know you. I'm sure you'll want privacy right now. I'll see you later. " Ally smiled and waved goodbye, leaving Alyssa alone. Alyssa thought over what had just happened. She never thought Scott would have a sister. Hanna was good at raising Alyssa completely away from Scott, and everyone linked to him. Then she remembered. Derek wouldn't let her see Ally. Or not by herself, at least. But she needed to go alone. The girl decided to keep it to herself, which made her beyond frightened at the chance of Derek finding out.

10 minutes went by, and Alyssa began to walk back to the car. She walked down the path, approached the car, climbed in, and closed the door.

"You took a while," Derek brought up, sounding slightly suspicious

"Do I have a time limit now?"

"You know that's not what I meant. I just meant, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, you can trust me on that,"

Alyssa hated the silent car journeys to school, the BAU, and back home. But she felt powerless to change it. She was the one who had to wait for Derek. The journey felt longer. Time went so slow, dragging out the awkwardness between the two who were once extremely close. 

They finally arrived back home, and Alyssa leapt out the car. She walked around the car where Derek climbed out his seat and pushed the car door closed. Alyssa approached him and wrapped her arms around him. At first, Derek froze from the unexpected action but pulled Alyssa close, resting his chin on her head.

"I know you're sick of me apologizing, but... I'm still sorry, " Alyssa said

"I know, kid, I know," Derek replied with made Alyssa smile. She was glad to hear it. It seemed like a good sign. Maybe he was starting to forgive her. But Alyssa had to carry her secret about Ally, which could possibly break Derek's trust all over again, and this time could be impossible to gain it back.