No Rest For The Wicked

The sun's light crept through the window, illuminating the room. The day Alyssa hoped would never come. She desperately wanted to be home-schooled, but even she knew that wouldn't happen. Pushing away her doubts and worries, the girl was curious and excited to make new friends. What would they be like? Will they like the same things? What do they look like? Alyssa tried putting her curiosity in front of her fears. She leapt out of bed and got ready, wearing jeans, a gray hoodie and a denim jacket, and a pair of red hi-tops. She looked around her room, her boxes scattered around containing her belongings. Most of her stuff was already unpacked, but some still remained and were added to her to-do list, which she never followed. Walking towards the kitchen, she joined Derek, who was serving breakfast for both of them.

"Excited for your first day," he said with energy, trying to cheer her up

"No," she said, but laughed at the end of her remark when feeling guilty of making him feel bad. She appreciated his efforts on uplifting her spirits. Derek placed her plate of scrambled eggs and bacon in front of her on the table along with his own. Instead of eating, Alyssa jabbed her fork into her bacon and swirled around the plate,

"Eat up, kiddo, you need your energy," Morgan encouraged, but Alyssa continued to play with her food

"Not hungry," said she, dropping her fork on the plate

"At least eat your scrambled eggs, deal?"

"Fine," Alyssa agreed, shoveling the scrambled eggs in her mouth. Derek checked his phone and sighed. "Let me guess, another case?"

"Sorry kid, I promise I'll call you after school," the agent promised and assured. 'Typical,' Alyssa thought. Today of all days. There really is no rest for the wicked. "Why don't you go grab your bag and I'll drive you to school?"

"Okay." Alyssa stood and walked away to her room, searching for her bag. She threw it over her shoulder and joined Morgan, who stood waiting at the front door. "I'm assuming I'm staying at Penelope's, right?" she double-checked, walking outside and approaching the car.

"Yeah, if that's alright."

"Cool, I like Penelope's place. It's so colorful and weird in a good way, " she joked, climbing into the car and clicking in her seat-belt. Alyssa stared out the window the whole journey, watching the different colored cars and the trees speed past her. They arrived at the new school, and Alyssa's blood pressure hit an all-time high. 

"Have a good day, kid," Derek smiled.

"Hopefully," Alyssa replied, climbing out the car and slamming the door shut, staring at the building for a few seconds before entering. She found her way to the principal's office, where she was instructed to go when she arrived. The girl walked towards the office desk where the office lady, a miserable middle-aged woman, sat grumpily behind it, smashing the keys on the keyboard with her narrow eyes staring at the computer monitor. She had light brown hair with gray streaks, wearing black glasses with pointy edges on her beady eyes and a black cardigan and pants with a black and white polka-dot shirt. Alyssa approached the woman whose looks could scare a wild animal.

"Excuse me," the girl said, shyly barely having any volume. The woman turned around, still with narrow eyes, which scanned the girl from head to toe.

"Yes," she said with a croaky voice

"I'm Alyssa Grey, it's my first day," the intimidated girl informed her 

"Oh right, one moment," the office lady replied, pushing herself, almost forcing herself as if she had no energy, of her blue, four-wheeled chair. Alyssa walked over to the plastic chairs that leaned against the evenly sky blue painted wall with a coffee table in the middle of them with various untouched magazines. She sat on the end chair and watched as different teachers came to print out worksheets and the  other office ladies typing away on their computers, casually drinking their coffee.