Chapter 3 - The Jerk

“She can’t speak to the press,” Liam says as if I weren’t sitting right next to him. And he’s been doing that for a while already. It’s like only Simon is worthy of his words. I look at my dad and he has an apologetic smile. Next to him Havi has a sympathetic one and I sigh deeply.

What did I get myself into? Maybe I should’ve waited to meet Liam before I signed. I’m sure that I’d be in my room by now if I had waited. One word from that mouth would’ve been enough to say “hell no” to all this contract and pretence.

“Havi needs to make sure she won’t speak to any paparazzo,” Liam carries on, also speaking as if Havi weren’t in the room. It’s insufferable.

She is not an idiot and she won’t make you look bad,” I spat and he barely looks at me, clearly not believing what I’m saying. My fists are so clenched that my knuckles are white and the only reason I don’t really attack the popstar is because of my dad.

This has to be the biggest proof of daughter love in history.

“I hope at least she’s good in bed. I asked for that,” he mumbles ever so lowly and I don’t only feel my cheeks burning, I also feel this burning rage inside of me, clouding my vision. I’m seeing red right now and I’m afraid I might actually attack him.

“Don't worry, Liam, Belle will only pretend to be your girlfriend. She has a job and we’ll make sure to keep paparazzi away from her, unless you two are together,” Simon reassures Liam and I focus on trying to keep breathing.

What do they think I’ll do? Talk badly of Liam? Saying how big of a jerk he is? I wouldn’t do that! I’m signing a contract to pretend to be his girlfriend, why would I speak badly of my ‘boyfriend’? I’m not an idiot, you know?

“And she has to sign a contract that says she won’t say rubbish about me once this is over,” Liam demands and that’s it. That’s all I can get.

“For your information,” I raise my voice, glaring at him. He turns to meet my eyes, unimpressed. “I’m not some trashy girl you just picked on the street. I have manners, I have decency and no matter how big of a jerk you are, I won’t say anything to anyone about it because that’s no one’s business!”

“It is their business,” Liam says and I roll my eyes.

“No, it’s their excuse to make money, there’s a difference. And I’m not such a low-class-human as to sell your life or your dirty laundry. You have no right to think I could do that,” I exclaim, furious.

“You signed a contract to be my girlfriend, that doesn’t leave you in a good place,” he says cockily and I swear I see everything red. I’m so angry.

“I’m certainly not doing that for you! You are the one who demanded for a girlfriend, so you are no better,” I recriminate him and he smiles sheepishly at me.

“We’re two of the same kind, then,” he comments and I’m about to shout at him that we are nothing alike but Simon interrupts.

“For safety measures, Belle, could you please sign an agreement to never say anything about Liam? I know you won’t, but it’s to put Liam at ease,” Simon begs me and I can see the plea in his eyes. He knows he’s dealing with the mature one here and that I’m the only one who can take this seriously.

I sigh and close my eyes for a few seconds, trying to find my centre again. This kid will drive me crazy in the worst way possible.

“Fine,” I agree. To be honest, once this is over I don’t even want to hear the name Liam Payne again.

“And we’ll add this other point in the contract. I hope you don’t mind,” the CEO of Syco tells me and I shake my head. I have no interest in dealing with the paparazzi. In fact, I’m wary of that. “Excellent.”