Chapter One

Savannah

The campus is busy, full of eager students ready to begin a new chapter, and I'm one of them. I want to leave the girl I was in high school behind. The shy, socially awkward one who couldn't read a paragragh in front of her class without stumbling through words and wanting to cry.

I'm going to make college the best four years of my life, I keep telling myself that over and over, hoping that if I repeat it in my head enough, it will come true.

I look over and see mothers and fathers taking photos of their children and son's comforting their crying parents, but here I am, just me. My mother couldn't wait until I was old enough to be left alone and fend for myself. There were no 'congratulations' when I was accepted to college. There was, "You know I'm not paying for any of that shit." her maternal nature never ceases to amaze me, but that's ok because I spent four years pushing myself to make nothing below an A in every class so that I could take advantage of every scholarship that came my way.

I've always told myself I was better off by myself considering her many toxic habits, but for once, I thought I might see a twinkle of pride in her eyes for her only daughter.

When I make it to my dorm, I feel a small pang of anxiety, wondering how my roommate and I will get along. I'm sort of a social mess, so making friends has never come easy.

When I fumble to open the door, a bright-eyed brunette jumps up, scurrying over to me, "I'm Lexie!" she says with her bright eyes shining.

"Hi, I'm Savannah. Is this your room?" Of course it's her room. Why did I just ask that?

Lexie, let's out a giggle. "Yes, I'm so excited that you're here." She gives me a quick hug, and my worries start melt a little. She seems genuinely nice.

She's beautiful, shoulder-length brown hair, very slim with a bubbly personality, it seems. She seems nice and I'm very relieved.

"I hope you dont mind. I went ahead and put my things out." she gestures to the left side of the room. The dorm is plain but nice with off-white walls and two beds, each on opposite sides of the room. There are two small desks and a closet for us to share.

"No, not at all. I'm just happy to finally be here."

We continue to make small talk as I unpack my things. She tells me about being from Ohio and having four brothers. I tell her I'm from North Carolina and I'm an only child.

"I always wondered what it would be like to be an only child, don't get me wrong. I love my brother's, but a girl needs some space." She chuckles.

"It's not so bad. It gets a little lonely sometimes."

"Yea, I honestly don't know what I would do without my family. They're wonderful."

When I don't respond, Lexie continues. "What about your parents?" She asks.

"Oh. Um, I never really knew my dad. He passed away when I was younger, and so it always just been me and my mom," Really just me.

"Oh gosh, Savannah, I'm so sorry about your dad."

"It's ok. It was a long time ago." Lexie looks at me sympathetically, and I'm grateful when she changes the subject.

"So the first party of the school year is tomorrow and we have to go, It's going to be amazing." she claps her hands together.

I feel the anxiety building in my chest thinking about being in a room full of people I dont know, but I promised myself I was going to get the full college experience parties and all.

"Um, sure, sounds like fun." I mutter.

I take a shower. And when I come back, Lexie and I continue talking. By midnight, it feels like we're old friends who are fixing to have an extended sleepover.