20. Night Out

I got dressed and waited for Joe to pick me up. I wasn't that nervous to go out with him but I was still unsure. I knew it wasn't healthy to hold onto the pain for too long. It would tear me up. I had done that so many times and it didn't end up well for me.

I heard a knock on the door. I got up and answered it, Joe standing there when I opened the door. He was dressed nicely and had his signature hat on. He looked attractive as hell.

"Hey, Mimi," Joe greeted, a grin on his face. "Ready?"

I stepped out of my house. "Don't call me Mimi, Joe. That's not me anymore."

Joe grabbed my hand. "Of course not, Nye."

I glared at Joe. He always had stupid nicknames for me when we were younger and I never liked any of them. Joe walked me to his car and we got in. He drove me to a Mexican restaurant we always went to when we were growing up.

We walked inside and sat down. We ordered and started talking. Joe caught me up on what Leon was doing and how he was doing. I told him about my weekend with the girls but didn't mention my burn mark. I didn't want him to know or worry about it. It would hurt my heart too much.

After dinner, we went for a walk around the area. Joe didn't walk close to me and gave me space. I felt better now he was at my side again. Joe was my best friend.

We returned to Joe's car and I leaned against the door as Joe stood in front of me. He nodded to me, a smile as he looked down.

I scratched my cheek. "What?"

"Nothing," Joe replied. "I'm just thinking about how good of a friend you, Naomi. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Probably not as well," I said. "I'm a ride or die kind of a bitch. I ain't leaving unless I can't stand it anymore."

Joe bit his lip slightly. "I love that about you. Let's back to your place. It's getting late."

"Don't get into any funny business," I said, opening the car door. "I'm not in the mood."

"Yes, ma'am."

I laughed and climbed in. We drove off and Joe took me back home. We laughed and stuff on the way home. When we got back, Joe walked me to my door.

"Thanks for tonight," I said. "It was really nice."

"You're welcome," Joe replied. "It wasn't too much. I love being with you."

I shoved his shoulder as I got out my keys. "Thanks. I'll see you at work, right?"

"Yeah."

I opened the door and looked at Joe. He leaned in and kissed my cheek. I giggled and said goodbye, stepping inside. It had been a long night.