06. Return

I sat in front of the mirror, staring at my chest. The scars from when I got my breasts removed were still there. What was new was my mark was colored in. Someone had touched me there and I had a sneaking suspicion who it was.

I pulled on my shirt and went into the kitchen. I made myself a bowl of cereal and ate at the table. I picked up my phone and was about to text Joe when Dawson texted me first.

Hurry up, Lee. Joe needs to talk to you - Gabbie D

Why? Can't he text me himself? - Me

He's too nervous - Gabbie D

Joe Cruz is nervous? The Joe Cruz? Tell him to call me. Do you by chance know who gave me CPR at the fire last week? - Me

Cruz did. Why? - Gabbie D

My mark is colored in. It's right where he would've started compressions. Are you sure it was just Joe? - Me

Yeah. I told you he was yours - Gabbie D

Whatever. I'll be there soon. Don't worry - Me

I finished my cereal and put the bowl in the sink. I grabbed my back and my lunch before heading out. I arrived at the firehouse a half an hour later. I walked in and Joe called out my name. It was followed by others calling my name.

I smiled and walked into the locker room, Joe following. I combed my fingers through my hair and opened my locker.

"Hey, Joe," I said. "How's it been so far?"

"Good," Joe said, leaning against the lockers. "Has Dawson texted you?"

I nodded, grabbing a hair tie. "Yeah. She said you wanted to talk to me."

Joe scratched the back of his neck. "We didn't get to hang out last week. I wanted to see if you still wanted to."

I nodded. "Of course. Why wouldn't I want to hang out with my lover?"

Joe rolled his eyes and held out his hand. I handed him the hair tie and I sat down. He combed my hair back and braided it, finishing with a tug.

I looked up at him. "You were the one who touched my mark. You performed CPR on me."

It wasn't a question but more of a statement. Joe looked down at me, fear in his eyes. He looked away and nodded.

I grabbed his hands and looked at them. They were all colored in too, with the same pattern that was on my chest.

"Joe, why didn't you tell me?" I asked quietly. "I'm your friend and more importantly, your soulmate."

"I know." Joe still wasn't looking at me. "I was scared. I still am. You've always been my best friend and I didn't want to lose that."

I took Joe's hand. "You aren't going to lose me, Jo-Jo. How about I go over to your house after shift for dinner? So we can talk about this?"

Joe nodded. "I'll pick you up from your place. Don't forget clothes."

I smiled. "I won't."

Joe and I left the locker room and went into the common room. We sat together and started joking around. I snuck glances at Joe and he was staring at me often.

I winked at him and continued talking with Dawson. I tossed my legs into Joe's lap and he started rubbing my shins.

"Why aren't you guys together yet?" Dawson asked.

I laughed. "We'll figure it out, Dawson. Don't worry."

"You're obviously meant to be," Dawson exclaimed. "I saw the way your marks lit up. You're meant to be."

"You can wait, Dawson," Joe said. "If we do end up together, you'll be the first to know."

Dawson's arms dropped. "You guys are killing me!"

I laughed, leaning forward. "I'm going to love torturing you, Gabbie."

Gabbie threw a newspaper at me. "I hate you, Lee."

I blew a kiss at Dawson. "I love you too, honey."

The shift went by in a blur and soon I was leaving. I was packing up my bag when Joe walked in.

"Hey, Naomi," Joe said, bumping his elbow into me. "Ready for tonight?"

"Of course," I replied, smacking Joe's shoulder as he passed by. "You're picking me up, right?"

"Yeah," Joe said, opening his locker. "I'll pick you up at six o'clock."

"You better have food ready," I said, putting on my backpack. "I'll see you then."

I left before Joe could respond. I got into my car and put my bag in the passenger seat. I drove home, thinking about the night. I couldn't wait.