15. Drunken Mistakes

I sat at an ice cream shop with Dawson, Sylvie, and Stella. They thought it was a good idea to take me out because of Joe. We haven't talked since our fight and I was too stubborn to talk to him about it. I had no idea where he was but I didn't care.

"So," Dawson said, grabbing our attention. "Do you guys want to go out for a girls' trip this weekend? Maybe rent out a house turn off our phones?"

I nodded. "Sounds like a plan to me. I'll go."

"Me too," Sylvie said. "What about you, Stella?"

She bit her lip. She eventually nodded. "Yeah, I'll go. I need some time off. I'm sure Naomi does too."

I nodded. "Yeah. After my fight with Joe, I need to stop for a bit."

"Have you talked to him?" Stella asked.

I shook my head. "He made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to. I won't push it."

"You guys are soulmates," Sylvie said. "You have to eventually."

I shrugged, stirring my ice cream. "I guess."

Dawson placed her hand on mine. "Don't be sad, Naomi. Joe's a good guy. He'll apologize eventually."

I nodded. "I know. That's why he's mine, isn't it? I'm a steal"

Sylvie smiled. "There's our Naomi. Why don't we go to Molly's? A lot of our people are going to be there."

We all went to Molly's. I walked in with my girls and sat at the bar. We ordered a round and Otis gave it to us. He stood by us, talking as he cleaned his dishes.

"Naomi, you just missed Joe," Otis said.

"Really?" I asked. "Did he just leave?"

Otis nodded, setting a glass down. "Yeah. He left with a girl he was flirting with."

My smile dropped along with my heart. I bit my lip, trying not to cry. "Did he now?"

Otis nodded, a sorry look on his face. "He got really drunk and left with a girl. I thought you'd want to know."

I nodded and grabbed my stuff. "Thanks, Otis. I'll see you guys at the firehouse."

I marched out of the bar, a few people calling my name. I ignored them and got into my car. I drove to Joe's house and went up to the door. The door was unlocked. I stepped inside and went up to Joe's room. There were moaning and creaking coming from Joe's room. Tears were on the verge of falling out. I opened the door and Joe was in bed with another woman. He turned his head and saw me. His face dropped.

A tear rolled down my face and I slammed the door. I ran down the stairs and out to my car. I spotted Joe step out of his house, calling my name. I drove off and didn't look back. I was halfway home when my phone started going crazy. I ignored it and got to my apartment. I slammed my door and went to my room, burying myself into the blankets. The tears finally came and I sobbed. I should've been right about love. It didn't exist and it left people broken. Life was unfair to those who were hopeful.