11. Day In

I sat in the common room of the firehouse, eating a bowl of oatmeal with chocolate. Joe sat on the other side of the room, reading a magazine.

I picked up my phone and started texting him. When he got it, he looked across at me. I smiled and winked at him. He smiled and looked down at his magazine. I flipped through the book I was reading.

I was sitting there for a little longer before the intercom went off. I put the bookmark in the book and went to the truck. I climbed in and we were off. 

I put on my helmet and waited to arrive. We arrived at a fire and Kasey sent me on top of the truck with Joe. He was really good at moving the ladder. When he lined up the later, I nodded to him and started climbing.

"Be careful!" Joe called.

I laughed, glancing over my shoulder. "Don't worry about me, Joe. I'll be just fine."

I climbed the ladder and got to the window. A woman stood at a window, screaming for me to hurry. I helped her onto the ladder and started climbing down with her. I didn't get too far away before the room I was just at exploded. I was fell from the ladder and barely caught on.

I hung onto to the edge, clinging on as tightly as I could. Joe screamed my name and started climbing the ladder. He got to me and reached out. I grabbed his arm and he pulled me up.

He clung onto me, burying his face into my shoulder. My heart ran faster than a horse and my hands were shaking.

Joe pulled away and grabbed my face, tears in his eyes. "Don't do that again, Naomi. I could've lost you."

I smiled, gripping Joe's wrists. "It's not that far of a drop, honey."

Joe smiled weakly. "That's not what I meant and you know it."

I grinned. "Let's get down. We have a job to do."

We climbed off the ladder and truck. I was checked over by Dawson and once we were finished, I was sent to help out on the scene. By the time I was done, I was tired and worn out.

We returned to the house and I went into the room with all the bunks. I found mine and I curled up on it, burying my face into my arms. I was out within minutes.

I was woken up by Joe shaking me. I groaned and squeezed my eyes tightly. I sat up and glared at Joe.

"What?" I demanded. "It better be good."

Joe kissed my forehead. "It is. Food is ready."

I got up and followed Joe into the kitchen. I grabbed a plate and started filling it with food. I sat down with Joe and Otis. We started joking around and laughing, throwing insults back and forth.

It was quiet for the rest of lunch. I eventually rested my head on the table and sighed.

"Tired?" Joe asked.

I nodded. "A little. I need a nap."

"Go take one then," Otis said. "Nothing's stopping you."

The intercom went off, calling all firefighters and ambulances.

I got up. "That is."

Otis rolled his eyes as he followed. I climbed onto the truck and put my helmet on. The truck roared out of the station and we were on our way.

----

Joe walked me out to my car, his arm around my shoulders. We got to my car and Joe grabbed my hips. I smiled and grabbed his shoulders.

"Wanna come back to my place?" Joe asked, biting his lip. "I got some plans."

I shook my head. "I don't want to have sex tonight. I'm not in the mood."

Joe nodded. "I understand. Does dinner sound alright?"

"Sure," I said. "I've always liked your tacos."

Joe gently rubbed my sides. "It's the only good thing I can make."

I adjusted my backpack strap. "It's still good. Is Leon going to be there?"

"Yeah," Joe said. "He wouldn't miss my famous tacos."

I scoffed. "I don't know about famous."

Joe shoved my shoulder. "Whatever. I'll see you tonight."

I kissed Joe and got into my car. I drove off and got to my apartment. I changed into a nicer pair of clothes before heading for Joe's house.