Chapter 44

Luke's POV

I waited patiently for a response. As she opened her mouth to say something, I saw her lips quiver and tears slip from her face.

"I'm sorry, Luke. I-"

she hugged me.

"No. No, Clem, it's okay. Everything's okay."

"No it's not! I let you down. I let everybody down. I'm sorry."

"Clementine. It's fine. Really."

I picked her up, and brought her to our room. She was still sobbing. she was getting my shirt all wet.

"Want me to sing you a song?"

She nodded.

"Oh, stop you're crying it will be be alright. Just take my hand. Hold it tight. I will protect you from all around you. I will be here don't you cry. For one so small you seem so strong. My arms will hold you, keep you safe and warm. This bond between us can't be broken. I will be here. Don't you cry. 'Cause you'll be in my heart. Yes, you will be in my heart. From this day on. Now and forever more. You'll be in my heart. No matter what they say. You'll be here in my heart. Always. Why can't they understand the way we feel? They just don't trust what they can't explain. I know we're different but deep inside us, we're not that different at all. And you'll be in my heart. Yes, you will be in my heart. From this day on, now and forever more. Don't listen to them. 'Cause what do they know? We need Each other to have, to hold. They'll see in time. I know. When destiny calls you, you must be strong. I may not be with you, but you've got to hold on. They'll see in time. I know. We'll show them together cause you will be in my heart. Yes, you will be in my heart. I'll be there from this day on, now and forever more. Oh, you'll be in my heart. No matter what they say. You'll be here in my heart. Always. I'll be with you. I'll be there for you always. Always and always. Just look over your shoulder. Just look over your shoulder. Just look over your shoulder. Just look over your shoulder. I'll be there. Always."

I looked down at her. She drifted to sleep. It was only two in the afternoon, and I wasn't tired. I decided to let her rest and wait for her to wake up. I walked inside of the bathroom and found a note.

Dear Pete and Luke, I'm sorry for everything I've ever done. I didn't mean to let you down. Or anyone else. I wanted you to be happy and safe. Now that I'm not with you guys anymore, I can only wish the best of luck to both of you. I hope you beat this world. I know you will. You're so strong and smart. Both of you. I want you to beat this world and then fulfill a happy life with a wonderful family. May you forever be happy and not having to worry about survival all the time. You may finally be at peace. I know I am.

Love, Clementine.

It was a suicide note. She was planning on killing herself. I gasped and ran into the room.

"Clementine!"

I shouted, with anger. Yes, I was mad. She woke up.

"Hmm?"

I lifted up the note.

"What's this?"

I said. She looked at it. Then immediately, her eyes went from small to popping out of her skull.

"N-nothing! It's nothing. Just let me sleep. I'm tired."

"How could you plan on killing yourself?! After all I've ever done for you!"

"I decided against it! Stop yelling at me!!"

She shouted back at me.

"No, I will not! You can't just get up and leave when things get tough. You have to push through. And help the people you care about! That's what we have now! Each other!"

I shouted.

"I said stop yelling at me! I didn't do it, so just be happy with me for once! That's all you do is yell at me, Luke! Lee never did that."

"That's all I hear from you, Clementine. Lee did this. Lee would never do that."

"What do you expect? He's was the best guardian I ever had!"

He looked really mad.

"What, Luke? You gonna punch me? Hit me? Slap me? Do it. I dare you."

She was testing me.

Clem's POV

After I said that, Luke brought his fist back. I braced for impact.