Chapter 40

Clem's POV

I walked outside to cool off. Luke is the biggest jerk I have ever met in my entire life. He said he would leave me behind and then replace me? I heard a noise. My head shot up. It sounded like leaves crunching beneath someone's feet. I pulled out my gun, only to have it pulled away from me. What's going on?

Luke's POV

After a few minutes of laying on the couch staring at the ceiling, somebody opened the door and walked into the house. I looked up for a second, then looked back down. I had only glanced. Wait, what did I just see? My head rose again. I was staring at a tear-filled bloody Clementine. I jumped off the couch and ran over to her. My fingers traced her scratches and gashes. She winced.

"Clementine.. Who.. Who did this to you?"

"No-nobody. Stop t-touching m-me."

She said. Her voice was shaky and cracking. She attempted to walk away, but I grabbed her arm. She yelped in pain, and immediately pulled away. I gave her a confused look. I grabbed her arm again and pulled her sleeve up, only to reveal more gashes and scratches. My eyes widened.

"Clementine.. What happened? Did you do this to yourself?"

She ignored me.

"I know you're mad at me, Clem, but you have to tell me who did this. For the safety of you."

"It doesn't m-matter."

She said to me. Tears started slipping from her eyes. You could see the fear inside of them.

"Clementine.."

I said. I tried to pull her in for a hug, but she put her arms out to protest.

"N-no, Luke. Just s-stop."

"Clem, please just tell me what happened. Somebody did this to you."

Clem's POV

He really wanted to know. He kept touching my gashes. I winced. He looked up at me with worry in his eyes. I bet I looked a mess. My pants had holes. My shirt had a cut in the middle of it. Luke kneeled down so he was eye level with me. He looked at my stomach, and gasped at what he saw.

"Clementine..."

He lifted my shirt ever so carefully, to reveal a fresh stab wound. His eyes were filling with tears. I could see them.

"Please, tell me what happened. I need to know."

He looked down at my legs. He saw some blood seeping through one part of my pants. He lifted up my pant leg, only to reveal another stab wound. He stumbled back. Sitting on the floor, running his fingers through his hair.

"What happened, darling?"

I shook my head and walked upstairs. I glanced back to find a sobbing Luke laying on the couch.