Chapter 2

I was really scared at this point. After all, I was only 11, and there's a large group of people I don't know standing right in front of me.

"And I'm Nick."

He seemed nice. Nick turned me around and checked me for bites or scratches.

"Are you okay? Did you get bit? Are you hurt anywhere?"

Luke laughed.

"Come on, man. She's fine. Sorry about that. He likes kids. Especially cute ones."

I blushed and looked away.

"Would you like to come inside? We've got plenty of food we're willing to share." Said Nick.

"NO."

I looked up. The pregnant lady seemed mad.

"Rebecca, why not? She's a child. We can't keep her out here by herself." Said Luke.

"I said no. You can't bring a stranger into our cabin without consulting the group. What if she's dangerous?"

The big man with glasses laughed.

"Bec, she looks like she's 10. I think we could handle her if she was dangerous."

"What if she was holding a gun, Alvin? Would you be able to take her then? Think about our baby! What if she hurt me?"

I spoke up.

"Listen, Rebecca. I would never do anything to hurt you or your family. Or anyone, for that matter. I'm not even armed. Check me for weapons. The most I have is a knife in my sock."

"See? She's harmless! Now we're gonna let her in because I'm not leaving a defenseless child out here for the walkers."

"You guys are making a big mistake. And when she kills one of you, I'm not cleaning up the blood."