Chapter 39

Clem's POV

Luke thinks it's hilarious when I blush, but I find no humor in it what-so-ever. I think it's embarrassing. I decided to go to bed. I took my hat off, and crawled into the warm blankets.

"Why are you going to bed so early?"

He asked me.

"Early? It's like 12 o'clock...."

"That's early in my book."

He said.

"So i take it you're not coming this very moment?"

I asked.

"Nope. I still have stuff to do."

He said, while smiling.

"Well, goodnight, Clementine."

He came over to me and kissed my forehead, then walked out. I started blushing. He popped his head back in

"Aha! I knew you'd be blushing."

He said, with a smirk. He walked back out. I couldn't sleep for a while, so I just stared at the ceiling. Just when I was about to drift off to sleep, I heard a loud crash. I shot up from the bed. I decided to go check it out. I walked downstairs.

"You must not have heard me the first time! We can't leave because Clementine is still shot!"

I heard Pete yell.

"That doesn't mean anything! She's better now!."

Luke screamed. I stood on the stairs without either of them noticing me.

Luke's POV

"She is not better! That girl could barely sleep on her side without it causing pain!"

Pete yelled at me.

"The only thing you could possibly do to leave would be leaving her behind, and that isn't an option!"

He said.

"Yeah, well MAYBE IT IS. If that's what it takes to leave then so be it. I cannot take it anymore. This place! And she's just a girl! There are millions of others just like her. I'll find me another one."

I heard a quiet gasp from the stairs. I looked, and Clementine was standing right there. Did she hear what I said?

"How long have you been standing there?"

I asked her.

"Long enough."

She spat back, pain hinting inside her voice.

"This whole time I've meant nothing to you? You said you'd leave me behind, and that you'd find another girl just like me? You've stooped low before, Luke, but never that low. I thought I was like a little sister to you. And now, I know that I've meant nothing to you this entire time. You know what? Leave. I couldn't care less."

"Clem-"

"I said LEAVE. I don't care what you do! You can go and leave me behind. And when you die, I won't be there to save you."

She glared at me, then walked back up stairs, slammed the door, and locked it.