Chapter 37

Luke's P.O.V

I brought Clementine into our room. She fell asleep half way there, so I had to carry her. When we got there, I set her down and tucked her in. I crawled in bed right next to her. I knew she liked it when I hugged her, so I did. I fell asleep with my arm around her. I woke up the next morning, and she wasn't in bed, as usual.

"Clem?"

I called out. I walked downstairs. She was huddled in the corner, knees up to her chin.

"Hey, girl. Why are you in the corner?" I asked her.

"Rebecca... Rebecca was bit... While you were asleep. She, she turned and bit Alvin. Pete put them both down."

I looked at her with disbelief.

"You better not be lying to me."

I told her.

"Why would I lie about something like this?"

"I don't know, but if I find out you were, you're gonna be in serious trouble."

She looked at me.

"do you seriously think I'm lying to you? Why on earth would I ever lie about something like this? That would be terrible. I'd hate myself for saying that. Do you really not trust me enough?"

She looked mad.

"No, you've got it all wrong. These are times when you can't trust anyone-"

"so you don't trust me? That's good to know. As long as we're being honest, I stopped trusting you the very first time you laid a finger on me."

She walked away, angrily.

"Clementine, wait."

I called out. I was right behind her. She looked behind her, and sped up. So, I sped up. She started fast walking, and I did the same. She ran. I chased after her.

"Clementine, stop running."

She ran out the door.

"Go away, Luke! I don't wanna talk to you. You're a jerk! I wish I never met you!"

She yelled out.

"Well, that's too bad, Clementine. You did! So live with it."

Clementine's POV

I got an idea to make him leave me alone. I ran back inside, and went into the bathroom, with him on my heals the entire time. I grabbed a piece of glass and held it up to my arm.

"Luke, you take another step towards me, and I swear to you, I'll do it."

It may not have been the best idea, but it's all I had. He looked at me, apologetically.

"Clem, please don't."

He told me. He took one step toward me.

"Luke!"

I screamed. I push the glass further into my arm.

"One more step and I'm doing it."

He was fast. He quickly grabbed my hand and took the glass from me.

"And you wonder why I don't trust you."

He told me, anger hinting in his voice.

"Really, Luke? That's why you don't trust me? I stopped it for you! Do you not realize that? And after everything you've done to me! You slapped me. And you squeezed my wrists until they turned a bright purple, and you don't trust ME? I think it should be the other way around. You're crazy, Luke. A sorry excuse for a guardian, and I want nothing to do with you!!"