Epilogue

[video for later in chapter]

Author's Note:

You know I couldn't leave it how it was at the previous chapter, I'm too invested in Rose x Jasper to do that and I know you are too! But I just had to tease you, that's all hehe :) Get ready for it, here's the real ending.

End credits.

____~❤~s2~❤~_____

Four years later

I stood anxiously behind the curtains, shadowed from the whispering crowd that drew from anticipation in their seats on through the other side of the thick fabric. From the slight gap I could see many faces I recognised. Amongst them were my parents and brother with his wife and my nephew; one year old Mathew, sitting bubbly on her lap and bundled in the most dearing little coat. Dotted amongst the auditorium, I also spotted a few familiar faces of people who I attended Larrington High School with, each with their partners and family; some of whom already sported their own offspring, including dear Mandy who was heavily pregnant at eight months, Luke sat beside her.

Most astonishing of all, was the appearance of Max and Cassie who came together as a couple. These past years seemed to have treated them really well and made me really happy to see. I made a mental note to make sure that say hi to them later, or at least drop a line to meet up with before I returned back to Sydney because it could be an unforeseeable time before I'm ever back again. 

The last time I'd been back in town was about a year and a half ago for Luke and Mandy's engagement party. While I'd seen Max then, I hadn't at all seen his counterpart since high school graduation. Though I now look back at those times fondly, it brought back some bittersweet memories. Regardless, it was a nice surprise to see them together, they were certainly a handsome pair. 

I dropped the curtain and smoothed out the nonexistent lines of my velvet dress out of habit and prepared to walk out. 

During the small intimate moment before my cue to appear, I reflect back on my time in Sydney. I felt proud of us all and how we've all grown– young lambs thrown out to the slaughter at the end of graduation, most of us not ready to move onto adult hood just yet.

However, not all of us had that dilemma, some already knew what they wanted to do; for instance Jane, who went on to run for her local council at the end of her degree and was successful in gaining her seat to become one of youngest members in our local council; or James Macker, now a news anchor (when he wasn't touring with his bandmates including Lukey). And then there was Annie, who after her recovery and the airing of the documentary, ended up scoring a small role in a soap opera which launched her acting career. Last I heard, she was to break through with a major Hollywood blockbuster which meant a move far away to LA. She really was a force to be reckoned with and my friends and I looked forward to proudly watching her premier on the big screens some time next year.

Others such as myself, had trouble deciding on something at the end of school.
The only thing I knew was that I had to leave town. I had to find whatever it was out in the world I'd kept myself from. 

I'd chose a university that would take me out of my comfort, and beelined it there almost without thought. I was too afraid to look back even for a second until it was over.