Chapter 3: Such a chore

C h a p t e r T h r e e

The first couple of weeks of school passed rather quickly and I finally felt I was settling into life back home. Things were mostly uneventful — save for the fact that Cassie, Melissa and Samantha continued to hate my guts and Mr. Green's English class was now the class I resented the most.

Ever since he tried to talk to me that day, he'd only gotten more persistent, and me, the more unwilling. I did everything I could to avoid the slight chance of being alone with him. I packed up well before the bell. When it hit, I'd be the first out the door, each and every time.

The thing is, it seemed Mr. Green knew that he annoyed me, or that I always had some sort of negative reaction to him. He'd be damn right about that of course.

And I can only think he must really get a kick out of seeing my displeasure because he actively does more things, precisely to get on my nerves. And since I haven't been caught alone with him anymore, the fear I'd initially felt, slowly drifted to the back of my mind for now and pure agitation took its place.

Unfortunately for me, not participating in any class discussion and showing a general disinterest in life—his life in particular— only resulted in Mr. Green calling on you even more. Thus, much to my annoyance, I've been cornered into lazily putting my hands up during question time to show that I was "paying attention" just so he could choose someone else. From experience, whenever I refused to put up my hand, he'd call on me without fail.

Gosh, if I had the chance to wipe that rampant smirk off his face whenever he saw my hands go up in the air, I would've long used my bathroom mat to do the job. And if I had a dollar for every time I rolled my eyes in that class, I'd book a plane back to the last century.

There was only so much of his life a girl could possibly want to know, or how much of his 'old fashioned charm' that was 'oh so rare in today's society', could be seen as charming before it became overbearing and pretentious.

Honestly, it wasn't because he's a bad teacher, it was just that I couldn't stand the way he thought he was so charismatic, and that anything he said resulted in instant knee-smacking, eye-wetting laughter from the class. That and also everywhere I went, from the cafeteria, lockers, bus stop and even the bloody toilet stalls, all I hear about is Mr. Green this. Mr. Green that. Day in, day out like nails on a chalkboard. 

He was such a hot topic at our school, I feel as though I know more about him than I do my own mother! It wouldn't surprise me if they came up with a whole Wikipedia page dedicated to how he liked to separate his peas and corn. I'm forced to hear about him against my will.

And of course, just about every girl in the damn place was trailing him around like lap dogs, blocking the corridors to our English class just about every day. 

But what I hated the most of all was just how distractingly crystal blue his eyes were. It was to the point where I constantly found myself staring at them for way longer than I thought was okay.
It was like I was walking knowingly toward the sharp claws of a hunter's trap without being able to control myself. And when I'd finally snap myself out of his eyes, I always end up feeling a little off afterward. It was a strange feeling. 

On to other news, I managed to make a few more friends in a few of my other classes. Sometimes Mandy and I will hang out with some other girls during break time where we bonded over our hatred of the Golden Trio and the popular crowd who were always causing scenes wherever they went. The few friends I'd made so soon meant that I wasn't a total loner. And for that, I was very grateful.

I guess things were starting to look up.

~❤~