Chapter 31: Tormented Wolf | Asphalt Carparks

C h a p t e r     T h i r t y    O n e 

"Annie... The star of tonight's show. The reason why she hasn't arrived is because she took a turn for the worse. She is in a very critical state the hospital right now. She's been put in a coma and is unresponsive," Father Andrew announces in a somber voice, sending shockwaves across the crowd. "The family are praying and waiting for the right moment to turn off her life support, but have decided to waiting on, for the night to pass, because this special night was meant for her. They're all watching this now from the hospital and want to thank you all for the effort you're putting in. " 

Wait, what?!
I immediately turned to the projector screen above as I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Father Andrew closes his eyes solemnly and nods to the audience in confirmation as people started to look at each other in confusion. No... It can't be.

"I apologies to be delivering the news like this. Let me quickly introduce myself really for those who may not know, I am Father Andrew and I have known Annie and the Mellers ever since she was a little girl. Her family has been attending my church for many years and tonight they have sent me here in their place, in hopes to ask you all to give them strength."

Whispers began traveling throughout the event, some people started crying, and really quickly a heavy set feeling took over the air as we all took in the severity of the situation. I myself started to feel lightheaded.
Annie was on life support and in a coma now? 
But she was just visiting school three days ago... This really cannot be.

We'd only just sat together in the student guild during lunch discussing the final plans for the ball. Annie had been so excited to show me pictures of her make up options for the night. Sure Annie had looked a little weaker that day but sometimes she was just that way. Depending on the day, what treatment she had recently, or what she activity she'd done, she may be more tired one day than the next.

Or she could be the opposite,  totally energetic and ready to beat you in a game of chess or demand a wheelchair race down the hall with the others. You'd just never know until you saw her, so we thought nothing unusual about her low energy. 

I look over to Mr Green to see if he had heard.
He has his hands over mouth looking like he was going to be seriously ill. He was stumbling and had a hand against the wall to steady himself. I wondered if he was alright, perhaps he ate something wrong? Maybe he hadn't been sleeping much, or the situation with Annie was also affecting him greatly. Maybe he's also known Annie for a long time too?

A tear escaped my eyes. 

Attempting to push through the people to get to Mr Green now was nearly impossible, everyone was barging into the area, trying to get closer to the stage to listen to Father Andrew's message. 

"It doesn't matter if you are a not follower of Christ or even a believer of God. Please, we ask you to keep Annie in your thoughts tonight, she is in need of strength and love. But for those who are members of the church, let us all come together and pray," the soft but powerful voice of Father Andrews commanded through the speakers. Everyone in the audience was silent and respectful, bowing their head with faces grave. A few sniffles trembled through the the oval. 

"Lord heavenly father, we are calling upon you now for strength in this difficult time to heal this child, our beloved Annie. Annie is a loving friend, student and teacher to all of us, an outstanding model with the kindest heart. Please let your love shine through and bless her and to heal her. Let us all bear witness to your greatness and all you can do, for Annie surrenders her whole heart to you.

Lord we trust in you. Lord we thank you –

For your strength, and the strength of everyone here listening. We thank you that she has found away to touch us all, to sing your praise and to inspire us all. We pray for your continuous love and blessings for Annie, and for all our brothers and sisters here today, may we come together and praise, in Jesus's name. Amen."