Chapter 15: Triades

@Gemini_99 old cover was uploaded on ch1 :)

~❤~

C h a p t e r   F i f t e e n

Squelch, squelch.

The sound filling my ears distracting me momentarily from my nerves. I giggled silently to myself at the sound of our water-logged shoes as we made our way into his house through his garage. It sounded as though rubber ducks were strapped to our feet. 

Mr. Green let out a small laugh ahead of me. I guess he also found it amusing.

We left our wet shoes and socks, hanging by his door, and entered into his home through the kitchen. The damp files in my grip suddenly feeling heavy with my guilt once more. 

"I'm sorry again for dropping your files in the water." I bit my bottom lip while gesturing to the pile in my arms. I was unsure of where to put them or what to do with them exactly. If I opened them, I feared they would break apart. But if I put them down on the bench, it would be as if I was passing the problem off. 

Feeling around the files with my fingers, I could tell that water had mainly entered from the top and bottom. I remained was somewhat hopeful that the insides would be salvageable. However, there was no telling how bad the real damage was until I could open it. I thought of a solution. 

"Hey, Mr. Green?" I began nervously. "Do you happen to have a hairdryer that I could use? I would like to try and dry these out?" 

Mr. Green turned around and gave me a look.
I held my breath.
I couldn't tell if he was angry or not.

Strangely, he hadn't mentioned anything about the issue at all until I'd brought it up. Although he very well could've been silently cursing at me the whole time for being an idiot. I would have too, if someone was as clumsy as I. 

"I've got one upstairs. I'll grab it while I go and get changed." He replied simply, his face as still as ever. I let out my breath, relieved that he didn't chew me out. 

But instead of going upstairs, Mr. Green, without warning, started waltzing in my direction. His eyes never leaving me.  

I stumbled backward, grabbing onto a countertop behind me as he got closer. 
Oh no, he's so mad...

Stopping in front of me, his eyes silently raked over my body, causing me to freeze like a deer in headlights. I gulped hard. I still had my school jumper on, zipped up securely, and my black stockings covered my legs. There was nothing to look at, so why was he staring? A small chill run down my spine as I shivered in the cold kitchen. 

Just what was he doing?! 

After what felt like a long time, he finally spoke up. "Your clothes are damp too. Let me go grab you something too, I think it will fit." 

I opened my mouth to speak but I was taken aback by his penetrating gaze that had latched onto me.

And then before I knew it, he was gone again. Down the hall before I could protest.
I leaned onto the kitchen counter, clutching my chest taking slow and controlled deep breaths to soothe my heart.  I was caught off guard, and I hope I won't be so careless again.

After calming down, a thought came to me. He still has not a deal about me ruining his files but was concerned about me being in wet clothes? Surely no one had that much patience. Something was up. 

Mr. Green appeared later in the living room wearing a  comfortable grey top and track-pant set. I noticed his hair was kind of spiked as if he ran his towel through it a few times to dry it and called it a day. It gave him a very boyish look.

He threw a change of clothes on the couch I was seated on as I flinch slightly as it plopped down beside me.  
I was been using one of the decorative cushions as coverage for my legs but it was barely enough to cover me from the weight of the stares he was now giving me.
I slowly grabbed his clothes apprehensively and stood up. "A-am I meant to change into these?"