Chapter 16: Unravel

~❤~

C h a p t e r   S i x t e e n

"D-dinner with y-you?" I stammered, taking a step back.

"Yes, that's what I said Miss Rose." His grin widened.

"Oh, I'm sure that won't be necessary. Can't you just drop me off at the restaurant or something?"

"The traffic in this weather – especially since it's peak hour right now –  it'd be absolutely appalling. It'd take me three times longer to drive you there, meaning six times as long until I get back home. Didn't you say you didn't want to waste my petrol last week?" He accused cooly without missing a beat.  "Like I mentioned, I have a mountain of work to do this weekend. Besides, your brother asked me to take care of you." 

I thought back to my brother on the call and almost felt betrayed. To entrust his only little sister off to some stranger? Okay well, I guess Tom really had no choice in the matter, it was an emergency and he probably didn't think Jasper was that much of a stranger.

"No but..." I trailed off, trying to think of an excuse.

"Rose, it's only a dinner. But, I could always call you a taxi if you're that desperate to get away from me."

A taxi?  My eyes widened as an image of me sitting in the back of a dark shoddy car in traffic appeared in my mind. I can almost hear the heavy breathing of the unknown driver as he stares at me in the rearview mirror with his beady eyes... 

A shiver sent down from my head all the way to my toe. "No, dinner with you sounds absolutely dandy."

"Right, that's settled." He moved forward towards me, cautiously watching my reaction. He lowered his voice softly. "If you like, we could jump back on the piano and finish the lesson. "

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I promise I won't bite this time."

After the unfortunate phone call, we spent another hour or so back on the piano. This time, it went by a lot calmer and smoothly compared to the debacle before, probably because we moved on from scales. 

The difference had been like night and day. He only cut me off once to say I "completely butchering" something totally minor again, but this time I rolled my eyes and ignored him.

Gone was the grumpy old piano professor (well for most of the time), and back was the and the easy going, even helpful, Jasper Green.

~❤~

"Hmm.. would you like some take out, or you prefer we go out somewhere nice to eat?" Mr. Green asks, opening a draw in his kitchen.
I can't believe I was going to have dinner with Mr. Green. All I did was come over for a piano lesson and I managed to get much more than I bargained for, including sitting on his car here and that hug.
Oh man that hug. What a huge cringe!

My face burned from the embarrassment of crying in his arms.

Next, if someone told me I had to stay the night because my parents were unable pick me up, you'd best believe I'll be running outta here at the drop of a hat! Just kidding... I never went anywhere alone after sunset. Nonetheless, I don't plan on falling into the arms of anyone ever again! That was a one off thing, I swear it.

Straining his hand to contain them all, Mr. Green took out a massive bundle of restaurant pamphlets and dropped them on the island counter. I raised my eyebrows. 

"You really have a hundred restaurant flyers because?"

"Well, that's what happens when you live alone for years, like a variety and don't know how to cook. Well, anything more than some instant macaroni, ramen or microwave meals that is." He reveals with a proud smile that somehow lacked any indiscretion. Wouldn't normal people be embarrassed that they couldn't cook? "Oh, I can boil an egg?"