Chapter 2 - New in Town

2018 Another old book cover, before the name change. 

___~❤~s2~❤~__

___~❤~s2~❤~__

C h a p t e r   T w o

Regardless of how horrible I felt the day before, I wasn't quite ready to quit just yet.

Not even when the day started with a loud bang after accidentally dropping my bowl of soup, the contents splattering over Mum's freshly steamed carpet. I spent most of my breakfast time trying desperately to scrub it with warm soapy water as Mum breathed fire down my neck.

To my dismay, I had to leave the house with only an apple for breakfast in the car. Like yesterday, I was hitching a ride with Tom because he insisted on driving me the whole week. It was a nice gesture and saved me a lot more stress in the morning with taking the bus, but it meant that the majority of the ride was spent trying to not talk myself out of going to school and dodging Tom's questions.

When we arrived at school there were only two minutes until the bell. I could not afford to give another bad impression to my history teacher. Having Mrs. Yan yesterday was scary enough, there were no such things as excuses with her. To my relief, when I entered the classroom Mrs. Yan had gone to the office to grab the attendance roll which she had forgotten. I managed to escape scot-free, for now at least.

Sitting with Mandy at the bench at lunch today had been the only upside of my day so far. Though we'd only met the day before I felt at ease with her company. She was quite the cheerful chatter, often filling in the silence, and I quite enjoyed her sarcastic humor.

"Miss Rose Harper, your food is far too tempting. God, I wished my parents owned a restaurant," Mandy sighed. "On second thoughts, never mind. I'd never be able to lose the weight before the ball. But I'm sick of cold salads and stupid teas."

I gave her a stern look and was about to say something about how she didn't have to lose any weight but at that moment, Cassie, Melissa, and my replacement Samantha walked past our table.

"Oh my gosh, I guess you two are really friends now aye Chubbypuffs?" Melissa scoffed loudly.

 "You're never going to fit into something good anyway with that ass, so don't bother. Oh, and also stop pretending to eat Rose. We all know you throw it up later, you should really be eating Mandy's share." Cassie added before the golden trio laughed hysterically.

"WHATEVER, MINGERS!" Mandy yelled after them.
I sat in my seat feeling defeated.

"Don't bother with them Rose, they're like that to everybody they think is below them – which is practically the entire population of the world. They're just jealous that you're naturally skinny."