Chapter 1: Old in Town

The second cover from years ago, when I first started the novel! It brings back memories and will always be special to me :)

Anyway, please comment, vote and subscribe! It really helps me out as a small writer.

  ___~❤~s2~❤~__

C h a p t e r O n e

I reached over and gave Mum a kiss before getting out of the car. 

"Everything will be fine!" She called after me with the windows down. "Go on, you go first baby. I'll wait here until you're in before I leave."

I smiled at her and waved as I backed away, but inside I was panicking.

I turned around and walked forward, staring at the big entrance gate that read 'Larrington Senior High School' without stepping in. Jesus, was I nervous to be back in a co-ed school.  

After attending an all-girl's school where there had only been two male teachers the entire two and half years I was there, I realized that I had been spoilt. Now the reality of males making up half the population made me want to faint. I avoided boys like the plague.

I looked along the grass lawn as laughter broke through my ears. A group of guys was gathered together, butting shoulders and giving each other headlocks. One even tackled the other straight into a perfectly manicured hedge leaving a human-sized hole in the bush. Like, why would you even do that?
I couldn't understand them; they simultaneously baffled and grossed me out at the same time. 

I shivered in my spot before Mum's honk from her car quickly snapped me out of my thoughts.

Get it together! I told myself. I've seriously got to get past this or I won't even last a day.
Taking a breath in, I persisted towards the daunting gates.

Through the open corridor, I noticed straight away that things had changed since the last time I'd attended. Even though things were much newer and bigger now, it wasn't all as shining and shimmering as I last remembered.

Back then, I was the new fresh-faced eighth grader. Everything was going great. I became friends with the popular girls for the first time and got invited to sleepovers and parties. I was carefree, guilt-free, and always sneaking out. I thought that having fun and having a good reputation were the only important things in life and that school was only a vessel to allow cool kids the chance to get each other's numbers. Things were looking up until the uh... 'incident' happened.

I've since learned that you're incredibly naïve when you're young, letting yourself believe that you are invincible. But it's at that age that no amount of warning will scare you off on a potential cheap thrill... until it comes and bites you in the ass. And then once you're tainted by the truth about death or danger, you suddenly become the strange kid. Cast aside by all the other kids still living their careless lives. They don't get it. And you can't blame them because you were once like them not long ago.