Chapter 15

Chapter 15:

“Let’s head back to base,” Bruce Banner said. “Me too?” I asked, hopeful. “Duh. I think you count as a part of the team,” Natasha said. “Oh thank you!” I said. I can’t believe I’m actually a part of the Avengers team! Thor came flying down in front of us with Jane in his arms. “You killed it?” Jane asked. “No. It’s taking a nap,” Tony said sarcastically. Jane rolled her eyes. “Good job,” she said to Loki and I. We thanked her. “Let’s go already,” Tony said impatiently. “Where is it exactly?” Loki asked. “Follow us,” Natasha said. Everyone started walking in the same direction… towards the ocean. I hesitated to follow them since I had no idea where they were going. I man I knew it was back to base, but where was base, exactly? “Are coming dear?” Loki yelled over his shoulder. I dashed to him and grabbed his hand. “Of course I am,” I said, looking up at him and grinning. He’s perfect, I couldn’t ask for anyone better. We walked onto a boat dock. Steve walked up to a grubby looking man. “Chris, take us down,” he said under his breath to Chris. He nodded. “Ok y’all hop in this here boat,” Chris said and gestured to a small, gray boat. It was nothing special, and I was just hoping that it could float. “Ladies first,” Tony said and held out his hand to help me get in. “1. If it’s ladies first, shouldn’t that count you? 2. I have a boyfriend, and 3. Don’t treat me any different because I’m a female,” I retorted. Everyone laughed, and I managed a smirk. “Nice one. I think you’ll fit in just fine,” Steve said. I smiled sweetly and thanked him. I wasn’t going to let anyone walk over me. Not this time, and not ever. If I stayed strong and held my own, then they would learn that I was just as good as they were. I wanted so desperately to show them what I could do. Of course, I knew that Tony could take everything I dished out at him. I would never say anything to anyone I knew couldn’t take it. I may not have a lot going for me, but I have a heart, and a fiery will to live life. We all got onto the tiny boat. I was surprised that it didn’t capsize with all of us on. “This is going to be a bit of a long ride, folks,” Chris announced. I had never been on a boat before. We headed out towards the open ocean. About 30 minutes into the ride, I started feeling a little queasy. We weren’t even that far from the city. No, I can’t feel sick. I’ll look weak. In the wild, the smallest and weakest animals were the ones who were picked off by the predators. I wasn’t going to be picked off by a predator. Not today, not ever.