Chapter 27

“What do you want with me?” I spat, still encased in Nocturne’s arms. He chuckled and leaned in close to me so his pale and cracked lips were grazed my left ear. “So I can watch your beloved Loki suffer, of course,” he said. I cringed as he spoke. He was so calm, and it scared me. “Ah, Nocturne. Vain as ever, I see… Can you not think straight, either? You’re becoming desperate, I can tell,” I retorted. I refused to be discouraged by his verbal attacks. He laughed quietly. I guess Nocturne wasn’t as quick with words as he thought. “Now, do me a favor and get away from me,” I said as more of a command than a question. He took my advice and backed away, but still held me. I stared at my blood stained boots, refusing to look at him. “Look… Look at my glorious battle!” He hissed as he grabbed my hair and jerked my head up. I stared out over the battlefield. Hundreds of bodies were strewn across the ground, bloody and limp. I noticed that the numbers on both sides were starting to dwindle, and I didn’t know whether to be happy or distressed. How could this have happened? I still couldn’t quite believe it. And then it hit me… Where was Loki? I looked around frantically for him. I spotted him helping fend off two frost giants from a man in his early 20s. I prayed that he wouldn’t look up and see me, for if he did, he would come after me only to be killed. To my dismay, he did look up. He looked right into my eyes and I pitied him. He looked so innocent and shocked. With a quick swing of his scepter, he killed the frost giant and raced towards me. “No!” I cried at the top of my lungs. “He’s coming for you. Such a shame…” Nocturne jeered. He struck me hard in the head with a club he was carrying, and I fell into darkness. When I awoke, I was chained to a large pine tree in a forest. Light shone through the trees, and it was quite beautiful. My head was throbbing and I couldn’t think straight. Where was Loki? What happened? How long was I out for? I scanned the area to see if I could find anyway to escape. Nothing, nothing at all, and not a soul in sight. “Hello?” I yelled into the forest. There was no response. “Hello? Is anyone out there?” I said. Again, there was no response. I wiggled my wrists to try to free myself, but it was useless. Suddenly, Loki stumbled through some bushes, tripped, and fell in front of me. “Loki!” I gasped. “Oh… my dearest Madelyn. I’m so happy I found you! I followed you here, but I got lost and feared I would not find you. How are you? How’s you’re head? Oh, darling… I’m so sorry,” he said softly. He was ashamed. “I’m a little tied up at the moment, but I’m fine,” I joked. “I don’t care where we are, as long as we’re together. Don’t you worry,” I said reassuringly. He tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. He caressed my face and I rested my head on his hand. Oh, how I missed his touch… “Now, can you get me out of these blasted chains and get out of here?” I asked softly. “Oh yes of course, I’m so sorry. Now let me see here… Ah, this won’t take but a moment,” he said as he broke through my chains with his scepter. I tackled Loki to the ground in a flurry of hugs and kisses. We both laid on the ground, laughing like children. Loki stood up first and held out his hand for me to take. I took it willingly and he pulled me up. We walked away together, hand in hand.