The Storm below the surface

"Aang, aren't you some kinda spiritual master?" Mangetsu asked, not really moving from his meditative pose.

"Well, yeah, but-"

"Then shut up and meditate."

Aang sighed, returning to his meditative pose before immediately fidgeting. Mangetsu sighed deeply before opening his eyes and whacking Aang upside the head.

"Aang," he said firmly. "Focus."

"I'm trying!"

"No, you're not," Mangetsu said. "You're thinking about the future. Stop that."

"But-"

"No buts, or I'll kick your butt," Mangetsu warned.

Aang pouted, returning to his meditative pose. "You're not really de-stressing me..."

"Because you keep focusing on the things that don't matter," Mangetsu sighed, returning to his own pose. "Why focus on things you can't change? You just hurt yourself doing that."

"I can't help it! Don't you get stressed about this invasion?"

"...Yes," Mangetsu said. "It's terrifying. But there's no point in tearing my hair out."

"How can you be calm!?"

Mangetsu sighed again, then got up and dragged Aang over to a small pool of water.

"This water looks calm, yes?"

Aang nodded.

"Jump in."

"What?"

Mangetsu pushed the young airbender, who fell in with a scream, the waterbender sitting on the edge and looking at him.

"Tell me, what do you feel right now?" he asked.

Aang focused on the water and could feel it bobbing and swaying.

"That doesn't count; you pushed me in, so now it's disturbed!"

"But does it look like that from the surface?"

Aang looked around and realized besides a few ripples; there was not much evidence of the turmoil below the surface. "...No?"

"Just because something appears calm on the surface doesn't mean it is," Mangetsu said. "Deadly rip tides and such can sometimes escape notice and hide the true nature of the water. In the same way, someone can appear at ease and peaceful but be battling an inner storm."

"Are you?"

Mangetsu's face hardened, and he got up and turned away. "Meditation isn't working for you. Find someone else to help you."

With those words, Mangetsu disappeared from view.