Who is really blind?

"Why would he try to fool us like that?" Katara asked, sounding hurt.

"Obviously, he wants to lead us into some kind of trap," Sokka said.

"I think he was trying to be sincere," Jin said calmly. "But I'm not ready to forgive him yet."

"This is just like when we were in prison together in Ba Sing Se," Katara continued. "He starts talking about his mother and making it seem like he's an actual human being with feelings."

"He does have feelings," Jin countered. "I travelled with him long enough to know that. I just don't think we should let him in, just because he says he's sorry."

"He wants you to trust him," Sokka said. "And feel sorry for him, so you let your guard down, then he strikes."

"The thing is," Katara sighed, getting ready to head to bed. "It worked. I did feel sorry for him. I felt like he was really confused and hurt. But obviously, when the time came, he made his choice, and we paid the price."

"You believed him because it's true," Jin said. "He is confused and hurt, and I don't think he has it all sorted out yet."

"We can't trust him," Katara confirmed.

"I kind of have a confession to make," Aang said quietly. "Remember when you two and Mogui were sick, and I got captured by Zhao?"

"No," I chimed in, sounding very interested. "But please, by all means, do go on; I'd love to hear about your adventures before Jin and I joined you."

"Don't tease him," Jin hit me. "Sarcasm is a foreign language to him."

"And you made us suck on frozen frogs? How could I forget?" Sokka sounded grumpy. "I had a wart on the flap that hangs down from the back of my throat for a month!"

He proceeded to point down his throat for us all to see.

"Sokka," Katara exasperated. "I looked at it and told you there was nothing there."

"It still felt weird on my throatal flap," Sokka complained

"Anyway," Aang continued. "When Zhao had me chained up, it was Zuko who came in and got me out. He risked his life to save me."

"No way," Katara threw a strop. "I'm sure he only did it so he could capture you himself."

"It does sound like something he would have done when I first met him," Jin confirmed.

"But is it something he would do now?" I asked.

"Yeah, it is," Sokka stated. "Face it, Aang. You're nothing but a big prize to him."

"You're probably right," Aang sighed.

"And what was all that crazy stuff about setting Appa free?" Little miss sunshine added. "What a liar."

"Actually," Toph cut in. "He wasn't lying."

"Oh, hooray," Sokka sokkasmed. "In a lifetime of evil, at least he didn't add animal cruelty to the list."

"Quit it," I growled.

"I'm just saying that considering his messed-up family," Toph countered. "And how he was raised, he could've turned out a lot worse."

"And while I was travelling with him," Jin added. "He was slowly becoming a better person."

"You're right, guys," Katara snapped. "Let's go find him and give him a medal. The 'not as much of a jerk as you could have been' award."

"Oi, Guys!" I shouted. That got everyone's attention. "I think we're all missing the bigger picture. There's something going on that we can't see."

"All I know is that while he was talking to us, he was sincere," Toph stated. "Maybe you're all just letting your hurt feelings keep you from thinking clearly."

"Easy for you to say," Katara jabbed. "None of you were there when he had us attacked by pirates."

Sokka clenched his fist. "Or when he burned down Kyoshi Island."

"Or when he tried to capture me at the fire temple," Aang added.

"And you weren't there when Iroh told us about his father!" Jin snapped back. "How abusive that man is! It really messes a person up."

"Why would you even try to defend him?" Katara snapped.

"Because Katara," Toph sounded frustrated. "You're all ignoring one crucial fact. Aang needs a firebending teacher. We can't think of a single person in the world to do the job. Now one shows up on a silver platter, and you won't even think about it?"

There was a slightly remorseful expression on Katara's face as she considered Toph's words. Aang just stared at Toph, who had her teeth bared in anger.

"I'm not having Zuko as my teacher," Aang said very matter of factly.

"You're darn right you're not, buddy," Sokka confirmed.

"Well, I guess that's settled," Katara ended the discussion.

"I'm beginning to wonder who's really the blind one around here," Toph groaned as she turned on her heel and stomped off.

"Manners, Toph!" I cautioned.