Chapter 54

Harry pov
Kate and I had only been home for two days when I got a call from the hospital, they asked me to come in the next day at 10am. It was a short, professional call, they didn't give away what was going to happen..
I'm walking to the director's office, I know there is a lot at stake but I am not nervous. I know what needs to happen. The blue door off Marc's office stands open so I give a knock at the side of it.
"Dr. Styles, thank you for coming in. Please sit down." Marc Greyson, hospital director welcomes me in his large office. I greet the man and sit down on the black chair across from Greyson who is typing something on the keyboard of his laptop. Almost immediately after me our chief of surgery enters the office and closes the door behind him.
"Good Morning gentleman" I smile and give him a nod while Marc continues to write while ignoring Richard.
"Gentleman, we are here to talk about the accusations who were outed against Dr. Styles." Marc starts when he stops writing.

"After we talked to you, we had conversations with some of your patients and other staff members of this hospital and the person who started all this."
I patiently nod but inside I'm not patient at all. Now I am nervous, I just need him to tell me what his conclusion is.
"Everybody we talked to, from patients to nurses, doctors to administration staff, everyone only had good words about you. All the personnel we talked to couldn't believe the accusations against you, they never saw you do anything wrong. Anyone who has ever worked with you speaks very highly of you. Patients told us they never had a doctor like you, who really cares, takes time and really helps them even if there is no real medical solution to their problem." This is what I always worked so hard for, making people better, make the pain go away and letting them smile again. Even when there was very little to do for themI  always tried, so hearing this made me proud of myself.

"I also had a conversation with Miss Jones and she told me a couple of things that made me go back to the person who started all this." I had to know who it was and this was my chance.
"Who was it? Please tell me, I deserve to know." Greyson looks at Richard who gives a curt, almost invisible nod.
"It was Dr. Cass." I knew it! All this time I knew it was that bitch, I balled my fists and anger starts to bubble up in my belly but I know I have to calm down. I close my eyes, take a breath and push away my anger.
"After Miss Jones told me what happened after her surgery and how Dr. Cass acted, I talked to the ER nurse and the doctor on call that night who both confirmed everything Miss Jones said. So I asked Dr. Cass about it and after I pushed her a bit she admitted everything. She was angry at you because you first doubted her decisions and then told her off for her mistakes in presence of a nurse, another doctor and a patient. She admitted she disposed the surgical report with the help of her secretary. It was also her secretary who she asked to start spreading rumours about you. She knew about your relationship with Miss Jones and she knew you would be a vulnerable target because of this." Greyson explains.
"Wow..." I breathed. Pushing my curls back
"I already thought it was her but wasn't sure. I always thought she was a great doctor and person but after everything she did to Kate, how she reacted on it and now this... " Eventhough I had seen it coming, I was still dumbfounded.
"It isn't the first complaint about medical mistakes and there will be further investigation into her practices." If it isn't the first complaint why would they only now, after making this big mess, start to investigate things.
"However, you did go against the rules by starting a relationship with your patient, this was wrong but Richard and I talked to the board members and we decided you have been punished enough and you can start working again from tomorrow." I thought hearing these words would make me happy but it doesn't.
"How are you going to take away the blame on my name? I don't know if you realise but my name is ruined, even if you reinstate me, there always will be people who say where there is smoke there's fire." Donna fucked everything up for me, this would never completely go away.

"Right at this moment there is a press release going out of the door which clears you from everything they tried to blame you of." I gave them a little smile.
"Will Donna get punished?" I asked curiously, if she isn't going to get a punishment I think I will explode, she can't get away with this.
"Off course, for starters she isn't allowed to practice for medicine six months. After the other investigations are finished we'll see what happens." I was relieved hearing this. I closed my eyes and thought for a moment. Was I really sure of this? Did I really wanted this?
"The last time I was here and today again, everyone is looking at me like I did something wrong, like I am a criminal. I know your press statement will help but it won't make everything go away completely. Also, during surgery or other procedures the relationship between doctors or between a nurse and a doctor is based on trust, after everything that has happened I'm not sure I can trust the people who I have to work with. I will always wonder if they think I'm the horrible person Donna made me look like. I have thought about it a lot and talked to Kate about it and I have decided to tender my resignation." Greyson goes pale and looked at me with big, shocked eyes, Richard closed his eyes and took a breath.
"Harry, you can't give up." Greyson started but he got interrupted by Richard.
"Marc no, look at it from Harry's point of view. I don't want to lose a fantastic doctor and surgeon but if I was in his place I would do exactly the same." I smiled a little at Richard before I took my letter of resignation out of the pocket of my jacket and set it down on the table.
"I'm going to clear my office and I will be gone in a couple of hours. Thank you for the many years I got to work here." I said before I turned to Richard.
"Chief, thank you, It was a pleasure to learn from you and work with you." I shook his hand before walked out of the office feeling lighter, happier. I knew this was the right thing to do.

I walked to Katia's office and asked if she could find me a big box before I walked to my office and started to gather my personal belongings. I'm glad I don't have much here.
After a short knock Katia's head popped in.
"Noooo!" she said when she saw what I was doing.
"They believed that bitch? They fired you?" she gave me a box with tears in her eyes, looking defeated. I walked around my desk and put my arms around my secretary.
"No they found out the truth. Donna Cass is suspended for six months and probably more. They wanted me to start to work again tomorrow but I handed in my resignation." Katia's head rose from my chest.
"You did what?" I shushed her and smiled.
"It's okay. My time here is up, after everything I would never be able to work with people who thought I was able to harass someone." Katia nodded understanding.
"But this isn't a goodbye. You and I, we'll see each other again." I let Katia go, walked back to my desk and started to put everything in the box she brought.

When I was done I looked up at Katia who was watching me, tears streaming over her cheeks. I took the box and put it on the chair in front of the desk.
"Come here." I hugged Katia again who now was sobbing into my shirt. We stand here like this till she is calm again. We have worked together for so long, I'm going to miss Katia too.
"We'll see each other soon."I kissed her cheek before I took the box and walked out of the office, out of the hospital with a positive look on the future. I was ready and with Kate by my side I could handle everything.

A.N.: Sorry I'm late with this chapter.
My husband and I were 10 years a couple last week so we went on a "Romantic Getaway"
It was nice and we both came back completely relaxed. My body on the other hand is acting up like a bitch atm.
Anyway enough about me...
Did you like the chapter? Any thoughts about Harry putting in his resignation?
We're almost at the end of this story... One other chapter before I will post the four part epilogue...
I wish you all an awesome week!!!
All the love,
K. x