Chapter 19

Harry pov
I was so happy when Kate said she would come to mine. The thought of her being alone all the time at her apartment, worrying about the surgery on Friday and being in pain was too much for me to handle.

I just called my secretary, Katia and asked if she could rearrange my schedule for the next three days and next week so I can be home as often I can. When she has done that I can contact Kate's mom and her best friend Karla to and ask if either of them could come over next week when I have to be at the hospital. It doesn't bother me if they come here, I really liked them. They are good people who love their daughter and friend. Kate's parents are a little older and they both have some health issues but I know if they didn't have it they would be here for her a lot more. Karla has her own life with two little kids and a demanding ex husband so it isn't easy for her either.

Kate is taking a nap while I prepare some pasta with vegetables for dinner. The tension and the worries since last night aren't good for her nerve pain. I'm sure tomorrow she will be in so much pain.

When dinner is ready I sneak to the guest room. Kate left the door of her bedroom wide open and I pop my head in the room with grey walls. The room is sober with only a bed covered with pitch black sheets in the middle with a white night stand on each side and a dresser.
Kate is laying on her side in the big bed. I silently walk to the bed and take a seat, taking the beautiful woman in front of me all in. Kate's eyes flutter but stay closed. The trip to the hospital must have exhausted her. I decide to go back to the kitchen and let her sleep some more.
"Harry," Kate whispers before I reach the door. When I turn around her eyes are open and she is looking through the window. I walk around the bed so I can see her face. I sit back down and take Kate's hand.
"Thank you, Harry. Thank you for being here, for doing this all for me," Kate says with tears burning in the corners of her eyes. She sits up and put her arms around my neck and hugs into the crook of my neck. When she lets go she presses a lingering kiss on my cheek. I turn my face and look into Kate's eyes, something between us changed. The energy in the room is so hot, I can barely breath.
"Harry," she whispers and presses herself tighter against me before she slowly moves her face and presses her lips to mine. At first, I was shocked but my lips started to kiss back before I realized what I was doing. Her plump cherry red lips moving perfectly against mine. She felt heavenly, like cool rain on your skin after a extremely hot couple of days. I didn't want to stop but I knew I had to. Kate parted her lips, my tongue slipped inside her mouth like it was the most normal thing to do. We explored and tasted each others mouths. I have to admit kissing someone never felt like this before. Kissing Kate felt like an adventure, sweet and salty. I felt extremely calm and excited at the same time. Her hands in my hair, mine cupping her soft cheeks. This was a feeling I never wanted to let go.
Suddenly Kate pulled back and gasped for air. I put my forehead against hers,
 "That was..." I couldn't find the right word to explain something so good and so wrong at the same time.

"Yeah," Kate whispered breathless.

"Dinner is ready," I announced and I kissed Kate's nose before I turned around and left the room inwardly smiling at the burning feeling of my swollen lips.

Kate pov
"Harry doesn't mind I'm here?" Karla questioned holding her cup of tea in her hands while we sat on Harry's deck.
"No, not at all! Asking you to come over was actually his idea. He has a couple of surgeries today and he didn't want me to be alone all day." I smiled fondly when I thought about the way Harry arranged his work so he could be home as much as he could.
"Harry even took most of the day off on Friday to be with me. He only has one meeting but if everything goes as planned it will be during my surgery," I explain to my friend who is eyeing me with knowing eyes.
"Harry is taking good care of you, really good care. Like a partner should take care of his other half," she smiles at me and put her hand on mine.
 "I'm happy to see that sparkle in your eyes again. It's been a long time since I've seen it." I close my eyes and swallow. I don't want to talk about it but I have to or I'm going to explode.
"I kissed Harry," I blurt out with a big smile while I hide my face in my hands. "Two times!!"
"You, what?" Karla look at me with shocked eyes. "When did it happen? How did he react? Tell me everything, come on!!"
I tell my best friend about the first kiss at the zoo, how Harry had tried to push me away but he had turned around and I told her how I kissed Harry the day before.
"So you kissed him yesterday and afterwards you both act like it didn't happen?" Karla asked confused.
"Yes, we both acted like it didn't happen. I can talk about everything with Harry but I don't know how to bring it up and honestly there isn't much to say because we can't be in a relationship together. Even if we want to, it can't happen. Harry would get fired and I don't want to be the reason for that." Tears are burning in the back of my eyes. I don't show my emotions but the feeling of loss, the anger of wanting him so much but being unable to have him is burning in my stomach.
"Don't act like you don't care, like it is not important, like he's not important. I can see your real feelings. I see how your eyes sparkle and how you light up whenever we talk about him. I saw you two together at Jeff's party. I saw how Harry took care of you and how you allowed him to. You normally never allow it." I smile with my friends words because I never allow help, even when I desperately need it. I would rather do it myself and be in much more pain for days than ask for help.
"You need to think about it and come up with a solution. I have seen you once together and I'm sure you need to resolve this because you two belong together," Karla put her hand on mine and gave it a little squeeze.
"I don't know, I don't get why he would want me? Look at me! I have nothing to give except misery," I say looking down at my lap.
"Kate, I know that's what you think but it's bullshit. You're a beautiful woman and you've got so much to give. Yes you are limited physically but I'm sure Harry doesn't look at you like that. Look at what he's already done for you".
I smile at my best friend, "Thanks," I whisper. Karla and I talk some more until Harry comes home and Karla leaves.

That night I lay in the big bed in Harry's guest room. I lay there tossing and turning thinking about the surgery tomorrow. I'm scared. What if something goes wrong? What if history repeats itself? I feel a little nauseous so I try to concentrate on my breathing and think about the positive things in my life but it doesn't help.
I wish I could hug Harry right now. A smile, hug or a little touch from Harry would calm me down immediately.

We watched a movie this evening. I cuddled up next to him on the couch. It felt so nice, my head on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat.
I slip out of the bed and tiptoe to Harry's bedroom. I silently open the door a little and go inside. I wait a moment and listen to his breathing. I think he's sleeping but I'm not sure. It's dark in the room but I see Harry's figure laying on the right side of the bed. At that moment, I decide that it's probably better to warn him rather than just to crawl in bed with him.
"Harry," I whisper. Harry started moving and suddenly he turns on the little light on his bedside table. I'm startled by the light and my idea suddenly looks stupid.

"Are you okay?" Harry asks. He looks adorable with his hair sticking up everywhere.
"I... euhm..... I," I'm hopping on one leg to another like a shy schoolgirl. Just ask! I scold myself inwardly but before I can say another word, Harry pushed down the sheet on the other side of the bed and shoots me a wink. I don't speak but just crawl over the bed next to Harry. We lay down so I'm the little spoon with Harry's strong arms around me.
"I know you're scared and worried but I promise you everything will be fine. Now try to sleep a little. You can always wake me up if you need me," Harry whispers.
"Thanks, good night Harry," I say, feeling relaxed, calm and safe. Finally relaxed, I slowly fall into a restless sleep.
"Sweet dreams love," Harry says before kissing my hair and snuggling his head in the back of my neck.

A.N.: Happy update!
I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter?
Please comment and vote.
Enjoy your Sunday!!
All the love,
K. x