Chapter 42

Kate pov

"Beautiful, I'm home," Harry sings when he comes in with a bag of ice cream. I walk out of the bedroom, into the living room, dressed in red star pj's.
"Hi baby, are you ready for tonight," I ask while climbing on the big stool of the breakfast bar.
"Yes I am looking forward to it," Harry says turning around. Harry is looking gorgeous again, his hair is getting longer and his curls are all over the place.
"You look cute with your braid and star pj's." Harry walks over to me kissing my cheek.
"I'm going to put something comfortable on and after we can start. You start setting up."
I throw him a big smile before Harry walks to his bedroom and I turn the TV on.
Tonight is romcom night. That means, Harry and I cuddle up under a big, cosy blanket on the couch, with tea and junk food watching romcom after romcom. There is no better way to spend a Saturdaynight.
When Harry gets back from changing his clothes we settle on the sofa and start our night.

An hour and a half later, we both get startled when the bell rings. I look up questioningly to Harry, but he shrugs his shoulders. We untangle ourselves from the couch, before Harry straightens his black hoodie and walks to the door. I'm going to sit up straight and rearrange the red mop of blankets. Harry comes in but, I frown when I see the person walking behind him.

"Dad? What are you doing here this late? Are you okay? Where's mom? Is she okay?"
Dad laughs, but his smile doesn't reach the corners of his eyes.
"Calm down, calm down, we're fine, everything's fine." I look up to Harry who shrugs again.

"Do you want a cup of tea," Harry asks my Dad, but he shakes his head.
"No thank you, I won't stay. I see you kids are busy," he points to the TV. Harry sits back down next to me and takes my hand, squeezing it a little.

We make small talk for a moment, but it doesn't feel natural. My dad is nervous, he doesn't sit still, he's fiddling with the hem of his sweater and with his ring.
"Dad, tell me what's wrong? I know you aren't here to tell us Aunt Jane's pedigree got pregnant by the stray their neighbours adopted," I say, a little irritated when I can't hold it any longer. My dad knows I can't stand it when people keep beating around the bush.

"Are you gonna let that doctor do the surgery," he asks. I'm a little caught of guard with his question.

"I... ehm...I haven't made a decision yet. We have been talking about it, but nothing is final." I look at Harry who was looking suspiciously at my Dad like he doesn't trust what was happening in front of him.
"Mom and I think you should do it. There is no other choice. We aren't getting any younger and we can't keep helping you out with everything." I was looking at dad like I had seen a ghost. Had he really just said this.

"Ehm... I... ehm...." I couldn't' speak. I was too dumbfounded. I looked at Harry, he's holding my hand but his other fist is balled. He has a tight lipped smile on his face, but his jaw is clenching and his pupils are dilated.
"No," Harry says sternly. He is looking my dad right in the eyes and the look in his eyes shows that he's angry.

My dad looks at Harry confused.

"I'm sorry son, but this isn't really your business," My Dad said to Harry and I think I see steam coming out of his ears.
"Not my business... excuse me, but this woman is the love of my life and I plan to spend the rest of my life with her,!so it is my business."

My dad looks at Harry with his mouth a little open, he definitely didn't expect this reaction from him. I'm so grateful for him having my back like always.

"I know you did the same with Kate's neurostimulator. You emotionally blackmailed her into the direction that you wanted her to go. Kate and I are both very grateful for all that you do for her, but if there comes a time you can't or don't want to do these things any more, we will figure something out and there will be a good solution."

My dad says nothing but I can see that he isn't very happy.
"And, about the surgery, I understand why you want Kate to take this chance but, it's her body that they have to cut into. It's her decision. She's been through enough, so give her some time to make her own decision. She is a grown woman, she's not fucking five years old!"

I've never seen Harry talk with so much passion. I loved him before, but seeing him now, standing up for me with so much passion and love, there are no words to describe the feeling it gives me.

"Ehm... Well... Okay... Looks like you have everything under control here then," now it's my dad's turn to stutter.

"We do, don't we babe?" Harry smiles at me and I nod.

"I agree with Harry, Dad," I say, just to let my father know I stand by my man, that we're one united front.

"Well, I guess I have to go get back to mom now," my father announces and immediately stands up and walks to the door. Harry and I both follow him into the hallway, at the door dad turns around, "I'll see you both later, bye," and he is gone.

It was a bit chilly in the hallway, so we went back to the living room and got cosy again under out blankets. We're both silent. I think we both need a minute to gather our thoughts.
"Your dad is unbelievable," Harry suddenly says. I look up to him, seeing his eyes are already set on me. "I'm sorry if I overstepped, but I couldn't keep my mouth shut and let him treat you like that." I turn around in Harry's lap, straddling him.

"Hey, you didn't overstep at all! I'm so grateful for having you in my corner." I cupped Harry's cheeks.
"I was so shocked by what he said that I couldn't talk and I'm so so glad you were here to support me. Thank you baby." I pressed my lips against Harry's and tried to pour all the love I have for him in the kiss.
"Now let's stop thinking about it and watch the movie." I said before pecking Harry's lips again and settling back onto the couch.

A.N.: Hello beautiful people,
What do you think of Kate's dad?
I wish Harry was here when my dad said the same to me.
Let me know if you liked the chapter and please press the 🌟 .
Thank you for reading and your never ending support!
Enjoy your Sunday!!
All the love,
K. x