•Chapter Fifty Seven•

Numb and emotionless was how I felt the moment Dr. Peters deemed my pregnancy high risk. As per her instructions, we journeyed back to her office yesterday, which was five days since our initial visit. Though I had been feeling much better and the headaches weren't as frequent, the results of my urinalysis showed excess protein levels. I was officially diagnosed with preeclampsia as my blood pressure levels hadn't returned to normal either, my health had betrayed me big time.

Following the doctor's orders I had been resting much more than I would've liked. Nonetheless, I complied, knowing that I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I were to place the twins in danger. Staring at the ceiling, I rubbed my stomach just thinking about my babies. Despite my diagnosis I was still very much elated to meet them though I couldn't bring myself to show any emotion at this point. Concern for their safety usually trumped any other thought I'd have. Just as I was about to close my eyes, willing myself to think positively, one of the twins suddenly became active. Delivering a sharp kick, a much needed smile spread across my face.

"I see you're already practicing for when you and Ameer play soccer." I continued rubbing my stomach and cooed. Not wanting to be left out, I felt another kick by twin number two. I prayed that I'd be able to carry them to term or as long as possible.

"Babe? You aight?" Lance peeked into the room just as the twins ceased their movements.

"Hmmm." I nodded as he made his way to my bedside.

"Need anything?"

"Damn Lance, I swear you keep asking me the same thing every five minutes. I know I'm on bed rest but I'm not cripple." I snapped. I honestly didn't mean to catch an attitude with him but he had been like this since last week. I was beginning to feel a bit smothered.

"I was just... my bad. I'ma go back to living room." Like a wounded dog, he tucked his tail in, got up and exited the room. I released a penitent sigh. I knew he was only trying to help, even more so he was overcompensating since he hadn't been present when I was pregnant with Ameer. I slowly swung my legs to the side, gearing up to find Lance and apologize. However, I was stopped by cellphone rattling on the nightstand. A picture of Ameer appeared signaling that he was trying to video chat.

"Hey momma!" His bright smile took up majority of the screen.

"Hey boo. How are you?"

"I'm good. I was helping grandpa mow the lawn." He flicked sweat from his forehead.

"Mhmm, you cutting grandpa's grass but you won't cut my grass. I see you."

He smiled sheepishly,"Don't be like that momma." He and I continued to converse until he asked to speak to his daddy. Heading downstairs, I found Lance stretched out on the couch staring at nothing in particular. I gestured to the phone once I got close to him which prompted him to sit up and take it.

"Hey dad, wassup?"

Lance chuckled and stroked his beard,"Not much man, just chilling. Nah mean?"

"Yeah I hear you." I couldn't help but smile at their interaction. Their bond was admirable, evidence of Lance's good parenting which only made me feel worse about snapping at him earlier.

"What you been up to, having fun with grandpa?"

"Yeah, we were cutting grass and he let drive the mower!" Ameer beamed.

"We're gonna play madden when he's done trimming the hedges."

"You're bout to get whooped lil boy." I faintly heard my dad's voice before his face invaded the screen.

"How you doing son? You been taking care of my daughter?" He greeted Lance.

"I'm aight. I been trying. She don't really want my help though." He shrugged and stole a glance at me.